Another day like yesterday and I 'll sell all my equipment!

Page 2 of 2
actually, 45 degrees won't work. the correct angle is somewhere between 44 and 45. I've tried several tries, but end up with gaps due to incorrect bevel angle...
I didn't have near this much trouble when doing crown molding! :)
dave
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

????????????? is this a square box with beveled sides or a trapazoid with beveled side? check the accuracy of your miter saw. sounds like something is amiss there. also check to see that all sides are the correct length. coresponding sides must be exactly the same length. if all is right with the world i assure you 45's will work..... and then sometimes life just sucks!!!!!!!!!!! skeez
it's rectangular, but just like crown molding, because the sides are angled (12 degrees) a 45 isn't quite correct for the bevel. and 44 isn't gonna do it either. :) believe me the saw is accurate. check the owners manual, page 13 for the 705. there are 3 arcs drawn across a chart. the top arc is for square boxes with sloping sides. 90 minus 12 is 78. find 78 on the top arc and it corresponds with about 44.3 or thereabouts. The trick is to read the bevel scale to that degree of accuracy when you are setting the bevel angle on the saw. there's no margin for error for a tight joint...sigh
dave
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

That is *if* you're laying the stock flat.
Make a jig that holds the stock to the 12 degree angle, and *then* cut with the saw at 45 degrees.
It's just like either: cutting crown moldings with the molding laying flat, and the 'funny' angles, or propping the molding up at the actual angle it will be at on the wall, and cutting it 'square' (i.e. 45 degree angle)
The two methods *are* equivalent. Fudge the saw to 'funny' angles to compensate for the different (simple/sane) orientation of the board, or hold the board at the 'appropriate' "funny angle", and cut to the 'intuitive' (aka sane/simple) angles.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I was just typing practically the same thing when I thought I'd better read some more replies. Good info Robert.
Gary
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Why not ask David Eisan. I saw him doing joinery seminars at a woodshow. I liked when he would post progress pictures of current projects. Explaining how he decided on things and why. Rather than just a, "I'm finished" picture. What happened to them?