Another bandsaw question....

I just picked up "The new complete guide to the Band Saw" and I get the impression that cool blocks are a better choice than bearings. He ( Mark Duginske) invented and pantented them. For all around, general use are the cool blocks better? What do you preffer?

Thanks Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

Jimmy, There are 'cool blocks' and there are 'COOL blocks'.

When I finally got done 'agonizing' over the decision {about which to one to get}, the 14in JET Open Stand came with Phonolic/Micarta-type blocks. After putting it together, & 'tuning' it {per Duginske and 'lurking & listening' here}, I made a few 'tweak's per my engineering background.

One of the 'purchased items was a set of Ceramic Blocks. I tend to use 'wider' blades. On the occasions that I will use blades under 1/4in, or need to 'copy' a template {and therefore 'bury' the blade} I'll switch back to the 'softer' ones. Plus probably make some 'wooden' ones from oil-infused Walnut.

When the 'rear blade support Bearings' go, I will replace them with Ceramic, as well. Of course, that is for ME and the type of work that predominates.

From what I understand, those 'Side Roller Bearings' {Carter, etc}, are more for the support of finer {1/4in and under} blades and tightly curved cuts.

Ron Magen

You being a boatshop guy, why not lignum vitae? It was made for the purpose, works great.

Reply to
dadiOH

About 18 months ago I went from a Craftsman to an 18" Rikon with roller bearings. I kept the Rikon for 2 weeks and returned it. I replaced it with a saw that has ceramic guides.

Roller bearings tend to be very noisy and they will in many instances and especially when cutting green wood, load up with debris and bang against the blade. They are a neat idea that probably works under the right conditions and with "dry" wood but I prefer the non roller guides. The ceramic blades tend to scrape and keep the blade clean.

Reply to
Leon

I've mentioned this before, but after having that problem when cutting green wood, I cleaned the blade and wiped it with a TopCote like product whose name escapes me. No more problems.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard