Annoying glue and finishing.

Page 2 of 2
On 1/24/2010 7:23 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Couldn't hep it ... only got one plaid shirt, and it's at the cleaners! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Well there is that.. LOL...
Yeeeeears ago I never opened a glue bottle with out having a wet paper towel handy. These days I always use an acid brush to spread the glue. IMHO using the brush helps you learn quickly exactly how much glue is enough. All you need is to totally coat the surface evenly and thin is fine as it gets squeezed out pretty thin when you clamp the joint. Put too big of a bead of glue down and the brush will help wipe off the excess. Put too little and the brush will not cover the surface with glue. I very seldom have much more than a trace of glue, if that, when clamping. Seriously though if the entire surface has glue on it and you get no squeeze out, you have used the correct amount.
Snip

Yes, yes, absolutely totally agree. ;~)

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:52:57 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

Put a coat of finish on your project before you start processing it. Small scratches will sand out and the whole thing will shed glue like a champ, ya slob. ;)
-- We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same. -Carlos Castaneda, mystic and author (1925-1998) -------
And the answer to your problem is WAXALIT
Paste wax consistency - dries WHITE so you can see it. Apply with a que tip around joints and do your glue up. When the glue has dried - pop off the squeeze out - with your fingernail. Glue won't stick to this stuff. Then with another que tip and some alcohol, get rid of the WAXALIT.
Michael Fortune did a lot of spindle chairs and was spending more time removing squeezed out glue than making the chairs. Found WAXALIT and solved his squeeze out problem.
Availablt from Lee Valley. Small can goes a LONG ways.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:52:57 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

Every woodworker goes thru this and there are numerous solutions. As my skill increased, I can now judge just how much glue to apply with very little squeeze-out. I see all these videos and shows with glue dripping all over the place during assembly and clamping, making a mess. Painters or masking tape to protect nearby area helps too.