Annoying glue and finishing.

But it also means you know you didn't use too little. I've had the same problem with blue tape, but I still use that method, and I also do the pre-finishing thing too; both of them can be helpful. Sometimes I don't even bother and use the card scraper after the glue has set, or even right after it's squeezed out, followed by a vigorous wipe with a damp cloth. It kinda depends on how big the glue-up is, the shapes and accessibility of the surfaces, and what kind of wood I'm using and what kind of finish I intend to apply. So yeah, it depends. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Aye ... on the project, and the location.

That said, "masterful application" of _just the right amount_ of glue is what separates the real men from the girly men.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, I'll bet you're using Titebond III and since that shit ain't cheap you're getting all frugal and efficient with the stuff (you know, like a girly man) instead of slopping it on there and shootin' in some brads like a real man.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yes, yes, absolutely totally agree. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Couldn't hep it ... only got one plaid shirt, and it's at the cleaners! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Well there is that.. LOL...

Yeeeeears ago I never opened a glue bottle with out having a wet paper towel handy. These days I always use an acid brush to spread the glue. IMHO using the brush helps you learn quickly exactly how much glue is enough. All you need is to totally coat the surface evenly and thin is fine as it gets squeezed out pretty thin when you clamp the joint. Put too big of a bead of glue down and the brush will help wipe off the excess. Put too little and the brush will not cover the surface with glue. I very seldom have much more than a trace of glue, if that, when clamping. Seriously though if the entire surface has glue on it and you get no squeeze out, you have used the correct amount.

Reply to
Leon