Angled dowel jig

I'm building a stair railing with three rails that has long balusters between the lower two rails and short between the upper two. The stairs have a landing so there's about a 10' section and a 4' section.
Here is a poor picture of the lower section:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kmuldrew/woodworking/rail.jpg
For the smaller section I drilled dowel holes perpendicular to the rails and the angled ends of the balusters. This didn't work well because any clamping pressure immediately cantilevered the rails. It took a lot of mashing with a mallet and the heel of my hand to get it all together. For the longer section I want to drill the dowel holes parallel to the ballusters. My plan is just to drill some guide holes in a block at the appropriate angle and then clamp the block onto the rails (and later onto the ends of the balusters). Does anyone have any better ideas?
Ken Muldrew wrote:
<snip>

Drill the holes before cutting the angles on the balusters.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thank you, Jack, I will certainly do that.
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:23:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) wrote:

It *appears* that you have completed some task out of normal sequence. From the pic it is hard to see much detail as it is from too far back.
Anyway, good luck.