Angle grinder for cutting wood

Ah, well I *had* one of those. Took me ages to find someone to give it away too! ;-)

A bit like:

seem to be very popular, but I can't understand why! I can only assume they are bought by infrequent DIYers who have not had the chance to use a proper recip saw or a decent jigsaw.

They have a very short stroke, and fairly fine teeth so cut very slowly. They use B&D single source blades that are expensive. They vibrate excessively. The larger saw looking blade tends to set up side to side vibration so much that the end tends to hack a wide trench out of the wood rather than cutting it. It has a jigsaw mode where it behaves just like the worst jigsaw you have ever used only not as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

I still have my first drill, bought in the early '60s. Cost IIRC 11 quid - pretty well a week's take home for me and I wasn't in a badly paid job.

3/8th chuck two speed B&D - all aluminium and painted blue. It still works well - but I did have it overhauled at B&D in the 70s as I had a mate who worked at the factory in Spennymoor? and at least the gearbox was changed as that is now gold. Had a circular saw and jigsaw attachment for it - both pretty useless.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They were certainly available long before that - but often the prices were prohibitive - partly because other than basic things like drills, much of the kit was professional level stuff not really aimed at the general public.

(That £84 would be something like £270 ($400) in today's money allowing for inflation).

Reply to
John Rumm

You definitely want a low-viscosity blade.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:28:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote the following:

All three sides of that round tree, Harry?

My 2-decade old Remington chainsaw nearly bit the dust last week when I let a rental worker (needed an extra body for digging out those pampas grass clusters) use it. It had been cracked already, but the bar and chain now bounce around a 7" arc at the tip. It still works, and I cut down 2 dozen hedge trunks with it, but it's on its last leg. Hmm, what to replace it with...maybe a chainsaw-on-a-pole.

-- Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change. -- Andre Gide

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pity!! (NOT)

Reply to
clare

Now those you can get in the US, you lucky people!

(although the blades are cheaper there - $8.50 vs about £12 ($17) here).

Reply to
John Rumm

Advertise it as "free firewood, cut it up and haul it away".

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

john hamilt> Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole

Reply to
spaco

RE: Subject

Glad to see a lot of new partipican from the UK on this thread.

Welcome to the wreck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I suspect that is more due to the cross posting than actual newcomers to the wreck :-)

Reply to
Stuart

> (although the blades are cheaper there - $8.50 vs about £12 ($17) here). >

Lobby Dosser

's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very good for pruning etc. Not the same as the other DeWalt Alligator saw mentioned before... just to add to the confusion!

Reply to
John Rumm

> That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very

Also looked like there might be some issues with them.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

>That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very

For added confusion, Black and Decker used to sell a two bladed reciprocating saw like the De Walt that was also called "Alligator". They may even have been the same saw rebranded. See e.g.

Alan Braggins

>>> That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very

too surprising since DeWalt are owned by B&D these days... (as are Elu)

Reply to
John Rumm

Part of the woodcarver's standard arsenal, used in conjunction with a chainsaw. Regular coarse alox grinding wheels won't start a fire.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Coarse aluminum oxide. Diamond costs more, but doesn't cut any better. Save it for hard materials that won't clog wheels, like concrete or tile.

Reply to
Father Haskell

>>>That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very

Reply to
clare

Came across a leaflet in local builders merchant this morning that reminded me of this thread.

Would this do what you want?

idea of the price and I think the smallest blade is 125mm so may not be any good to you.

But they look interesting. Has anyone used one?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Just ask MR. B.