Angle Cuts

I am new to wood working and the project I am making states to cut the wood at a 1/8 inch off-set. How do I make this cut with a table saw? This project is a magazine rack

The step reads " Bottom-should be cut to an 1/8inch offset to allow for the angled sides Sides-Bottom edges of sides should be cut to an 1/8 inch offset to allow for a flat bottom"

Reply to
bassman76131

Sorry, but that sounds like the directions given to the fellow bus- passenger: "Maple Street? Sure, just get off one stop before me."

Seriously, though, not having any picture of what you're talking about, the best suggestion would seem that you ask the author/ publisher what they mean. Would provide feedback to them, too.

Or ... show a friend the directions and request interpretation.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Does the design have sloped sides? Near as I can interpret, the bottom should be cut at an angle to match the angle of the sloping sides. Usually, this is given in degrees and the tablesaw blade is set accordingly. So, if the base is say, 12 x 18, you'd cut it so the bottom part of the wood is

1/8" less on each side. The top would be 12 x 18 but the underside would measure 12 x 17 3/4, assuming the sides are angled but the ends are not.

Is there a picture of this someplace we can see it?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well that's a guess that might be plausible, but the original posters plans would have to win the award for most obscure ever written. You'd still have to get out the trig book and figure what angel to set on the tablesaw. I don't know of any way to set to set an angle for 1/8" shorter on one side, except doing several test cuts. This doesn't seem like a very good beginner's project. The next challenge will be how to hold it while you assemble it. I remember when I did perfect 15 degree angle cuts for saw horse legs on my new $1300 tablesaw and then sat there feeling silly when I had no way to hold it in place while I screwed it together.

Bob

Reply to
Bob