Andy's bench

Subject: Re: Workbench, raised edges? Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:54 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:53:10 +0100, Andy Jeffries wrote:

OK, so given the weight of opinion coming for level sides, that was a monumentally stupid question....
No it wasn't Andy.
Level sides it is then....
I'm planning on putting two double switched sockets at the back of the bench. I was going to just have them flat on the top, but would I be better of raising them (i.e. attaching a basically triangular section about 4" deep at the back and mounting them on the face of that)?
Is there any advantage to doing that? If not, I'll KISS....
If your bench is open on all four sides and you do this - you're back to the same situation. Keep it as clear as possible from all sides. Cheers,
Jim

I'd say raise the outlets above the surface, or at least surround them with a ridge/lip of some kind. If you had something plugged in and then slid a large piece across the bench top into the plug, the best that would happen is bent prongs on the lug.
HTH Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:28:09 -0400, Mike Patterson wrote:

When I say mounted on the surface, the actually sockets will still be raised 10mm due to the depth of the socket plastic.
Cheers,
Andy
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:21:28 +0000, Jim Mc Namara wrote:

Thanks for the advice Jim. I'm interested in having power sockets on the bench so that if I ever move the bench, the two double sockets come with it.
Swingman recommended having them mounted on the front of the apron (Thanks to Bill for the terminology). That sounds like a good idea...
Cheers,
Andy
Agree with power strip on apron. But avoid the mistake I made by putting the strip TOO close to the vise. I also have an extension cord dangling above the bench.
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:44:23 +0100, "Andy Jeffries"