"and you want it to do what?!"

I'm thinking a lazy susan bearing and a clockwork type motor, say from an old microwave oven turntable.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Snip

Scary Sharp has given me back the joys of using my hand planes I inherited from my dad. It is realy nice to be able to take a paer thin shaving of a piece of wood with a scary sharpened hand plane.

Regards George SA

Reply to
George SA

Turk and Robert: These are great sites! Thanks. I'm still sifting through the responses but ideas are beginning...Those motors are cheap enough I could buy several and experiment....

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

Has anybody mentioned a BBQ spit motor yet? They turn slow, have gobs of torque, and are real cheap at resale stores like Goodwill.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

(c) wouldn't have enough power to spin anything heavy anyway, and the

20-year-old belt would break.
Reply to
Silvan

Why didn't I think of that? THUD! THUD! THUD!(Head hitting keyboard) Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I use one to spin a 5-gallon bucket to polish pistol brass cases, it works fine, but it's LOUD. I think it wouldn't be conducive to meditation of artistic interpretation...unless the viewer can appreciate the contrast of the industrial audio component of the display with the visual sensuousness, or something like that.

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

Dear Mr. Intellectual,

How many words?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or not. If you want something that lame in your living room in the first place, maybe it *should* be that much more obnoxious. :)

Reply to
Silvan

"Bill Hodgson" wrote

: I have a question about sharpening in general. I have used the scary : sharp method with amazing results on cheap chisels as well as my plane : irons. What I need to know is if I'm doing it correctly. My question : is: Do you both push the blade down the paper as well as pull it : back, or do you only move the blade in one direction (eg push the : blade down the paper)?

A disadvantage of using coated abrasives for this kind of sharpening is that the blade will tend to plane the grains from the paper, if not actually cut through it.

I have seen one technique recommended by a well-known writer who moves the blade in a direction parallel to the edge, presumably to reduce this effect.

However there is some information that goes against pressure on the forward stoke. This can be seen on my web site. Please see 'Sharpening Notes' - 'Some Scientific Light on Sharpening Technique'.

For most practical purposes, I reckon that abrading on a hard surface (oilstone, diamond stone or glass) wins hands-down. You can do the natural thing and push on the forward stroke.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Tim: "Intellectual" is N/A here, but "smart ass" applies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall