"and you want it to do what?!"

Page 1 of 2
Ok, Need some help. Friend bought a statue. It's about 12" in diameter and 24" tall. (Haven't seen it yet) She has asked me to build a pedestal. Ok, that should be kind of fun.. the kicker is, she wants it to TURN, slowly with an electric motor. (SWMBO actually didn't immediately say NO when I suggested the pedestal would have to be round, thus requiring the purchase of a lathe!!)
Round or Square or Otherwise. How do I make it turn? This infrastructure will dictate the final form I suspect. Suggestions? Websites? Sympathetic chuckles?
Pat.. patrickdfischer_at_att.net
try the following link:
http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.asp
go to the second listing... for robot motor $10 well spent..
FWIW..... BG Micro has been this "gadget guy's" favorite place for several years.... You will need a "wall wart" to power the robot motor, but they can be had for $2-3...
Rotsa Ruck..
Royce
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:00:04 GMT, "Patrick Fischer"

See also: <http://www.herbach.com
Nebraska Surplus <http://www.surplussales.com is also worth a visit.

Turk and Robert: These are great sites! Thanks. I'm still sifting through the responses but ideas are beginning...Those motors are cheap enough I could buy several and experiment....

(Haven't
kind
On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:57:29 GMT, "Patrick Fischer"

You never build this sort of thing - buy it ready-made instead. Find the right sort of scrapyard (big industrial machinery, scrap aircraft, whatever), and start looking for something that's already a pedestal, it just doesn't know it yet. Then you dress it with a casing over it.
Friend of mine has a swivel chair made from an ejector seat. The swivel for that is an old front hub from a Saab (front wheel drive is easier).
The advantage of a car hub is that you need to make a fairly tall pedestal and have it stable. This either needs a long axle with a bearing at top and bottom, or something very rigid mounted low down. The wheel hub is easy and cheap to get, and rigid enough. You'll also need plenty of ballast to stop it being knocked over, and the hub would help there.
To power it, I'd use a chain drive, with a motor mounted off to one side. Large chain sprockets with hollow centres come from pushbikes, small sprockets are cheaply bought, with centres to fit standard motor shafts. Chain pitch is pretty standard.
The motors I'd use (as I have them to hand already) are geared synchronous motors that used to be in a coffee vending machine. One is driving the bellows in the organ doorbell project: http://codesmiths.com/shed/materials/scrap/organpipes.htm
Yea, chain drive. You can find it in the dark. Just fallow the noise.
wrote:

kind

Chains are pretty quiet at low speeds. They get noisy when they run fast and the chain starts to slap back and forth.
If you're worried about noise, then use a flat toothed belt. The drive sprocket is easy to get (many of my motors came from old photocopiers, and they nearly all have one already). For low torques, you don;t need to tooth the large diameter pulley, just turn a smooth wooden surface and use friction.
Been there lately? They don't have much anymore.

have
Has anybody mentioned a BBQ spit motor yet? They turn slow, have gobs of torque, and are real cheap at resale stores like Goodwill.
Art
wrote:

(Haven't

Why didn't I think of that? THUD! THUD! THUD!(Head hitting keyboard) Nahmie

I use one to spin a 5-gallon bucket to polish pistol brass cases, it works fine, but it's LOUD. I think it wouldn't be conducive to meditation of artistic interpretation...unless the viewer can appreciate the contrast of the industrial audio component of the display with the visual sensuousness, or something like that.
Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Wood Butcher wrote:

Or not. If you want something that lame in your living room in the first place, maybe it *should* be that much more obnoxious. :)
Good morning Pat,
Sounds like an interesting problem. Here's my take:
Using a lazy susan bearing (also used for television swivels) (1) and an appropriately sized disk to hold the artwork. Rotation provided by a small gearhead motor (2) connected to the center of the upper disk (install a tee-nut from the top, and connect to the turntable with a piece of all-thread and a jam nut. File a flat on the bottom end of the all-thread and use a shaft coupling to connect to the gearmotor. Provide ventilation for the gearmotor (might even put in a small fan if temperature rises too much). Oh ... you'll need to drill a small hole for the all-thread to rise through the top of the base. Gearmotor mounts to shelf inside base, if you leave the back open you can gain access and eliminate the cooling fan idea (may want to make a face frame to help keep things rigid). Fun part, you can probably make the entire thing from solid-surface (Corian) countertop material to compliment the artwork if you don't want to work with wood. Of course, you can always make the base from plywood and apply the veneer of your choice.
HTH
Rick
(1) Available at Woodcraft, Rocklers and other mail order suppliers as well as some of your local woodworking stores (2) Available from various electronics surplus houses such as BG Micro (as someone else already reported), All Electronics, Electronics Goldmine, American Science and Surplus, and so forth. You'll probably want a 110 VAC gearmotor (which will drop the cost because the robotics crowd won't bother with them).
"Patrick Fischer" wrote

motor.

motor.
Paddy: Two words: small block Chevy.
Bob Smart-Ass Intellectual

Dear Mr. Intellectual,
How many words?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

There are three types of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Tim: "Intellectual" is N/A here, but "smart ass" applies.
Bob
wrote in message >

There are many ways to make something go round and round... I suspect the tricky part will be finding something QUIET that does the job. Presumably a motor will be involved mounting it on a cushion of some sort might be useful so your pedestal doesn't become one big sounding board. Of course, you could in theory figure out the resonant frequencies of the pedestal and make them mis-match with the motor. :)
Wish I could have been of help in a more concrete fashion ....
hex -30-
One to one belt drive with a stepper motor. Near silent.

(Haven't
kind
pedestal
infrastructure