And yet another kitchen refresh bites the dust ...

Actually... Whirlpool owns many brands you know.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

There's a product out there for redoing that coating. It's called something like dishwasher rerack. It seems to be holding its own on the

10 year old dish washer, but I haven't gone and looked.

It stinks up the place something fierce. A summer outdoor application would be advisable.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

------------------------------------------------------ Major consolidation of the white goods industries was well underway by the early 1980's.

Traffic appliances (countertop appliances) took the first hit followed by the major appliance suppliers.

GE for example sold their traffic appliances to Black &Decker but continued to invest in the major appliance business based on the fact that if they kept automating, they could keep the Asians off shore.

That didn't work and I see where GE has recently sold their major appliance business to pursue other more profitable interests.

Funny how money drives things.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I saw touch up bottles of the rubberized/vinylized product but we had 2 racks that were cracking and peeling all over. It was about $500 to replace two racks in a 15 year+ old dishwasher or go $999 for all new. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I know that 4 years ago you could hardly tell the difference between a GE and Samsung refrigerator.

Like NBC . LOL

And then there are the wide spread jet engines.

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------------------- "Le> Like NBC . LOL

----------------------------------------- Not sure, but think GE still has a minority stake in NBC.

As far as jet engines are concerned, GE now has a major jet engine investment in Brazil.

Airbus tried to get a foothold using the House majority speaker to run political interference for them since the facility was to be in his district.

The project got killed since the engine they wanted to build was obsolete.

Look for GE to make additional investments in non-carbon energy systems such as wind and solar as well as natural gas fired railroad engines for general traffic usage.

They make money supplying big heavy iron such as turbine-generators transportation, marine and utility markets.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What do Edison Electric, White Consolidated Industries, Electrolux, and Frigidaire have in common? Same plant, same products, same employees, mostly the same owners using different names. Same product on t he assembly line with eight different brand front panels. Since closed as they moved to Mexico.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I like the laminate backsplash matching the counter-top too. We did that in our kitchen when we re-did it back in '96 - with custom Ash cabinetry. I designed the kitchen and had it built by Berg kitchens here in Waterloo (long since out of business). We did a setback "knee-hole" below the sink (doors set back about 4 inches) which made the Mirstone sink installation a bit tricky. That job all started when my wife won a new solid vinyl kitchen floor

- - - -

Reply to
clare

If we are still talking about Swingmans kitchen remodel, the back splash is 3/4"+ quartz.

Reply to
Leon

Right down to the crystal. Any good DW should clean far better than you can by hand. The issue is generally the detergent. You really do need a high phosphate detergent to make them work well. Some, in areas where "phosphates" is a bad word, a teaspoon of TSP added to the detergent works well.

Translated:

"I've made up my mind and no one will convince me otherwise."

Reply to
krw

You also need soft water (or at least it REALLY helps!!!!)

Reply to
clare

well thought out, I can't imagine your clients not being thrilled with it. I really liked the "trapeze" that suspends the mixer. How much cabinet modification to the carcass did it take to get that strong enough to suspend the mixer safely? Is that a purpose built piece of kitchen hardware? It reminds me of some computer hardware I have installed.

and finish seems like it would be great for foil thermoplastic, but I couldn't tell from your pics. As we spoke a while back, I haven't made a door for myself in years...

We are usually behind pretty much any trend here, so I am hoping that we will get back to a trend of being really busy here.

was longingly remembering the days of telling potential clients that I was 2

-3 months away from taking their work.

shortage of craftsmen in Houston is so severe it is a topic of discussion in the news and a priority at their homeowner's association meetings. She has repeatedly assured me that if I were to move to Houston that she could book me a year or work in about 30 days.

always do good work and have quite a portfolio of projects to back it all up. Regardless of a shortage of "hands on" workers, a good contractor makes all the difference in the world, and some folk are savvy enough to realize how important the contractor is to a smooth running project and to delivering a good final product.

If we are still talking about Swingmans kitchen remodel, the back splash is 3/4"+ quartz.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Leon

I'll state again, Whirlpool always in pot scrubber mode. We go straight to the dishwasher from the table and don't run it until it is full. In some cases this might be 2 days later. Maybe once a month some thing might come out with a spec of debris because it was too full. I'm not talking entry models so much as top or near the top of the line. We are on our 3rd Whirlpool. First home 34 years ago came with the builders grade Gaffers&Stratson or something like that. We struggled with that for 7 years. Bought a top end Whirlpool and used it for 15 plus years until the trays began rusting and replaced with a Bosch. The Bosch lasted a month and we exchanged it for another top end Whirlpool with SS tub about 12 years ago. My son is still using it, we moved out. We had a new home built and the builder only offered GE appliances. I made a deal with a builder appliance supplier and traded in the unused GE dishwasher for a top end Whirlpool a step down from the top, with out SS tub. That was 4 years ago and the DW is performing as all have in the past.

I might add that the quality of your water has a lot to do with any DW cleaning properly. Hard water cuts down on the dish soap's capacity to work through out the wash cycle. We use a water softener.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Leon

I'm going to try this. Ours is a Maytag and I just looked to see what mode we run it in. It appears we usually use Normal mode - at least I do... not sure what mode my wife uses. It's not that it does a terrible job but this is one of those things that really bugs me - More often than I wish, things don't come out as I think they should. Sauces like tomato sauce seem to harden on too well if not pre-rinsed and allowed to sit in the washer for a couple of days. Sparkling clean is something I would never attribute to any dish washer we've ever owned - and it kinda pisses me off. It's seldom that we overload ours, though I suppose that does happen from time to time.

Likewise, our Maytag was reputed to be at or near top of the line when we bought it.

I'm pretty sure our previous dish washer was a Whirlpool - about 90% sure of that. It pretty much operated like our Maytag does today. Products like this we buy from applicance stores - not from HD, or Walmart, or the like. Always though a higher end product selection was available from the appliance stores.

Very true. I have a water softener installed because we are on a private well so that almost guarantees hard water - at least around here it does. I plumbed mine in to service the whole house except for the spiggots outside.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

FWIW I don't know of any time that we do not ours of in anything less than pot scrubber mode. We even have a turbo mode that cleans baked on casserole pans. And Jet Dry helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: (1:249/999)

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet Fidonet Gateway

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------- It was a hell of a fight to overcome the resistance of the likes of Proctor & Gamble; however, the result was that the Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie, were able to get rid of the algae bloom that was choking the life out of them.

It was amazing how quickly the lakes cleansed themselves once the phospates stopped being discharged into them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good for the lakes and finally good for the consumer. It took a while but now there are some very good detergents.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski