And yet another kitchen refresh bites the dust ...

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, December 6, 2014 1:24:33 PM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

Another really nice job, Karl. Your final product always looks so clean an d well thought out, I can't imagine your clients not being thrilled with it . I really liked the "trapeze" that suspends the mixer. How much cabinet modification to the carcass did it take to get that strong enough to suspen d the mixer safely? Is that a purpose built piece of kitchen hardware? It reminds me of some computer hardware I have installed.
Also, are those your doors or did you have them made? That style of design and finish seems like it would be great for foil thermoplastic, but I coul dn't tell from your pics. As we spoke a while back, I haven't made a door for myself in years...
Once again, nice work!

While it is starting to loosen up a bit here, it still isn't what it was. We are usually behind pretty much any trend here, so I am hoping that we wi ll get back to a trend of being really busy here.
Talking to one of my amigos the other day that just shut down his company, I was longingly remembering the days of telling potential clients that I wa s 2 -3 months away from taking their work.
And talking to my sister that lives in Houston, she assures me that the sho rtage of craftsmen in Houston is so severe it is a topic of discussion in t he news and a priority at their homeowner's association meetings. She has repeatedly assured me that if I were to move to Houston that she could book me a year or work in about 30 days.
But... I wouldn't think to sell your efforts short in any way, either. You always do good work and have quite a portfolio of projects to back it all up. Regardless of a shortage of "hands on" workers, a good contractor make s all the difference in the world, and some folk are savvy enough to realiz e how important the contractor is to a smooth running project and to delive ring a good final product.
If only Houston had better Tex/Mex... ;^)
Robert

There's a product out there for redoing that coating. It's called something like dishwasher rerack. It seems to be holding its own on the 10 year old dish washer, but I haven't gone and looked.
It stinks up the place something fierce. A summer outdoor application would be advisable.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 12/7/2014 4:56 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I saw touch up bottles of the rubberized/vinylized product but we had 2 racks that were cracking and peeling all over. It was about $500 to replace two racks in a 15 year+ old dishwasher or go $999 for all new. ;~)
"Leon" wrote:

Major consolidation of the white goods industries was well underway by the early 1980's.
Traffic appliances (countertop appliances) took the first hit followed by the major appliance suppliers.
GE for example sold their traffic appliances to Black &Decker but continued to invest in the major appliance business based on the fact that if they kept automating, they could keep the Asians off shore.
That didn't work and I see where GE has recently sold their major appliance business to pursue other more profitable interests.
Funny how money drives things.
Lew
On 12/7/2014 5:24 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

GE and Samsung refrigerator.

Like NBC . LOL
And then there are the wide spread jet engines.

On 12/7/2014 6:24 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

What do Edison Electric, White Consolidated Industries, Electrolux, and Frigidaire have in common? Same plant, same products, same employees, mostly the same owners using different names. Same product on t he assembly line with eight different brand front panels. Since closed as they moved to Mexico.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

--------------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:

Not sure, but think GE still has a minority stake in NBC.
As far as jet engines are concerned, GE now has a major jet engine investment in Brazil.
Airbus tried to get a foothold using the House majority speaker to run political interference for them since the facility was to be in his district.
The project got killed since the engine they wanted to build was obsolete.
Look for GE to make additional investments in non-carbon energy systems such as wind and solar as well as natural gas fired railroad engines for general traffic usage.
They make money supplying big heavy iron such as turbine-generators transportation, marine and utility markets.
Lew
On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 12:09:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

that in our kitchen when we re-did it back in '96 - with custom Ash cabinetry. I designed the kitchen and had it built by Berg kitchens here in Waterloo (long since out of business). We did a setback "knee-hole" below the sink (doors set back about 4 inches) which made the Mirstone sink installation a bit tricky. That job all started when my wife won a new solid vinyl kitchen floor - - - -
On 12/7/2014 10:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If we are still talking about Swingmans kitchen remodel, the back splash is 3/4"+ quartz.
On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 22:49:23 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Right down to the crystal. Any good DW should clean far better than you can by hand. The issue is generally the detergent. You really do need a high phosphate detergent to make them work well. Some, in areas where "phosphates" is a bad word, a teaspoon of TSP added to the detergent works well.

Translated:
"I've made up my mind and no one will convince me otherwise."
On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:47:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

To: snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca On 12/7/2014 10:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

[...]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Mike Marlow On 12/7/2014 9:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
To: Leon Leon wrote:

I'm going to try this. Ours is a Maytag and I just looked to see what mode we run it in. It appears we usually use Normal mode - at least I do... not sure what mode my wife uses. It's not that it does a terrible job but this is one of those things that really bugs me - More often than I wish, things don't come out as I think they should. Sauces like tomato sauce seem to harden on too well if not pre-rinsed and allowed to sit in the washer for a couple of days. Sparkling clean is something I would never attribute to any dish washer we've ever owned - and it kinda pisses me off. It's seldom that we overload ours, though I suppose that does happen from time to time.

Likewise, our Maytag was reputed to be at or near top of the line when we bought it.

I'm pretty sure our previous dish washer was a Whirlpool - about 90% sure of that. It pretty much operated like our Maytag does today. Products like this we buy from applicance stores - not from HD, or Walmart, or the like. Always though a higher end product selection was available from the appliance stores.

Very true. I have a water softener installed because we are on a private well so that almost guarantees hard water - at least around here it does. I plumbed mine in to service the whole house except for the spiggots outside.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
To: Mike Marlow On 12/8/2014 9:11 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

than pot scrubber mode. We even have a turbo mode that cleans baked on casserole pans. And Jet Dry helps.
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92 SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

It was a hell of a fight to overcome the resistance of the likes of Proctor & Gamble; however, the result was that the Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie, were able to get rid of the algae bloom that was choking the life out of them.
It was amazing how quickly the lakes cleansed themselves once the phospates stopped being discharged into them.
Lew
On 12/10/2014 10:33 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

but now there are some very good detergents.