And the winner for most waterproof glue is...

195 gram strength hide glue, if this is correct:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22636759
Very, very doubtful a fiddle could withstand extended submersion without being reduced to splinters. The buyer got scammed.

I agree that it couldn't withstand extended submersion.... but if you read the article, it's claimed that the instrument was never actually submerged: "It is claimed the violin survived in a leather case, strapped to Mr Hartley's body, which floated upright in his cork and linen lifejacket."
On 5/23/2013 3:01 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Hard to believe it would survive.
--
Jeff

Very, very doubtful a fiddle could withstand extended submersion without being reduced to splinters. The buyer got scammed. ==================================================================I would have to agree. Hide glue and wood that thin spending 10 days in the water is highly unlikely to survive.