An old FWW article on building one's own jointer out of maple

If you are a glass half empty kind of person, stop here... this is an "outside the box" type of post...

Some of you may remember an old FWW article on building your own jointer with maple in/out tables... I came across it last weekend.

I want to know if any of you ever tried to build it? Success appears to have depended on accurate assembly.

I am relying on the fact that FWW is a reputable publication with long years of success... SOMEBODY had to try it...

I am not trying to save money... I am a tinker at heart and want to know if this was flash in the pan, or a legit method of do it yourself.

Please, I do not want to hear the flames about safety and/or saving time by buying the standard machinery. My wife is flamer enough for all. :)

Opinions?

Be well.

William

Reply to
William

Thu, Nov 4, 2004, 7:25pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (William) wails: SOMEBODY had to try it...

Someone did. High class looking machine.

Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
J T

Just saw the article again the other day. Highly reminiscent of the old Craftsman.

I'd be more tempted to build a nice two bed (infeed & outfeed adjustable) with gibs and machined ways from aluminum.

Still, I gotta admire the man for seeing through a project like that!

Reply to
Sbtypesetter