An interesting Festool possibility

Never thought about it until I saw this on Craigslist: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/1870550646.html
Renting out your Festools! I know, I know, sacrilege, but it's still an interesting idea.

I'd rent out the wife first.....
On 7/29/10 8:03 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Post Pics :-)
--
Froz...

On 7/29/10 8:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

:-)
--
Froz...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:03:00 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

How much? Does she do windows?

We have 4 macs in this house. She _has_ to use windows at her job and hates it. So, no.
Only Windows 7

"RicodJour" wrote:

Makes for an interesting chain of liability.
Lew
On 7/29/2010 8:47 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

There's an opportunity there when you think about it--the things _are_ too expensive for non-wealthy people to buy them for occasional use, but renting is another story.
RicodJour wrote:

Yeah, that's something I'd do with somebody I don't know. The possibilities are endless and most of them bad ranging from "oops, I didn't realize that nails/screws were bad for it to, "George? George who? Nobody by the name of George lives here. You say somebody with this phone number rented a tool from you? I'm 95 and my wife is 90; I can't use tools anymore because I don't see so well these days. Nope, nobody named George here".

Rob Leatham

I was thinking more of renting it to people I know!
"You can borrow the Makita, I'll rent you the Festool." ;) R
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 22:24:05 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Could very quickly become 'former friends' if they damaged it in any way.

BTDT. Now the answer (and has been for years): "Sorry bro', but these tools are the only things between me and being broke, I can not afford to pass on a job because a tool isn't here." Besides, my close friends know I'm happy to give them a hand...me and my tools. Now it is really simple: "what tools?" LOL (*whispering sideways from behind my hand* "my collection is starting to build up nicely again..."
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 05:58:55 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Well, I would, but only to one person. He's the executor and full beneficiary of my estate when I finally go and I consider him family. I wouldn't even think of getting angry at him if something broke while in his possession. Hell, he's going to get it all sooner or later, so I'd never get upset if he accidentally broke something I loaned him.
On 07/30/2010 07:58 AM, Robatoy wrote:

As Red Green was known for saying: "If it ain't broke, don't lend it."
<snip> I remember, "If it ain't broke, your not trying hard enough" on Red Green.

I'd never let a stranger use any of my tools. Decades ago, when I was in film production, I rented out gear from time-to-time. In more than one instance, the equipment came back dirty or damaged. I'm slow, but I learned my lesson.
An interesting alternative: Hire me and my Festool Domino for $45/ hour.