An important reminder

This weekend I was "treated" to the sounds of heavy machinery leveling the remains of brand new 6,000 sq. ft. house down the street that recently burned to the ground. The house had just been completed, and the fire was evidently started by some workers who were staining some custom-made doors and left the used rags wadded up in a pile in the corner of the garage.

So, don't forget: You should *never*, *ever*, under *any* circumstances use stain on fine ... er, I mean, always dispose of finishing rags properly.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

The boss probably doesn't speak Spanish.

Phil

Groggy wrote:

Reply to
Phil

On 2 Sep 2003 06:10:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) pixelated:

------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------

REAL websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wow. Such hostility. It is well known that mexicans take a lot of manual labor positions and work there arses off at it. As far as communicating, there is generally one on the crew that speaks english well enough to communicate with the employer. They have learned how to cope with the language issue.

Buenos Tarde,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

This guy was in my killfile so I would have missed his/its hostile reply. It would have been more prudent not to have included his quote. But then I wouldn't have known what you were talking/writing about.

But aside from that, there are more than just Hispanic workers taking labor positions. Many Oriental and Eastern Europeans have entered the labor force recently, at least here in Phoenix (though predominately Hispanic). Talk about a communication problem

Reply to
GeeDubb

Reply to
Phil

A neighbor and I were talking about it, and we figured the home owner probably will own that company before all is said and done.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

From the music I heard coming from the house while they were working, he'd just need to be able to speak redneck.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) I haven't heard so much Lynrd Skynrd since high school.

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

rotflmao! I have a feeling some Chinese have the same problem.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

On 3 Sep 2003 04:54:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) pixelated:

But why would he WANT TO with workers like that...

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

Website Programming and Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I believe the phrase you're looking for is "competitive", not "fair". Like it or not, we have a globally competitive economy. It doesn't matter whether you're selling the widgets your company produces, or your labor to an employer, you're competing with someone who can do the same job for less money.

When no one with the necessary skills is willing to take less than "n1" wages, we have established the lower threshold for the market. When no employer is willing to pay more than "n2" wages, we have established the upper limit.

Welcome to the world of the free market.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig