An idiot and his table saw...

Page 7 of 9
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Isn't there a law against cloning old clowns?

Dammit! It's Saturday. Quit cloning around and get out in the shop and make some damn sawdust!

I wouldn't mind seeing Red Skelton again. When I was a kid, the family would gather around the giant 23" B&W console TV and watch The Red Skelton show. He was funny without being lascivious, something that doesn't seem possible these days. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

<http://archive.org/search.php?query=red%20skelton%20AND%20mediatype%3Amovies
2012 09:40:18 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Yep. Although it turns out that he knew and told some of the dirtiest stories - but always backstage, never out front.     My Dad caught one of his shows while he was in the service. Half way through his act he told the audience "Sorry, I don't have enough material for two complete shows, so any of you guys who were here for the first show will have seen this next bit before." I think that is when Dad became a real fan.
    I love his bit about how to drink coffee and donuts. "You must extend your little finger when you dunk. It's to catch the edge of the cup, otherwise you could go into the cup up to your elbow."
--
pyotr
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 02:20:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Probably many, many, more that you know. It's exactly the same thing as people texting while walking or driving. You've heard the old saying ~ Stupid is as stupid does. Nothing new there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl0JojWH1rQ

02:20:18 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Where do you put a coffee cup? - on the other seat?
--
pyotr
pyotr filipivich wrote:

In one of thse free paper coffee cup holders, and on the floor.
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 13:09:41 -0800, pyotr filipivich

You hold it out beyond your knees, with one hand, and pry the cover i[ with the other hand. If (when) it spills, it goes onto the carpet. It's not rocket science. Or stick it in one of the cupholders.
If they put the drawing on the side of the cup, some dufus would claim that they turned the cup to read it and burned themselves.
http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2010/cup-in-cleavage.gif
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Shock mounted, no less!

Instead of an "air ride", it's a "dairy ride".. <smirk>

How about a cup holder Hell they even sell those that hook into your window well
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

You hold it in your hand--she wasn't driving, she was a passenger. Or you find a place to wedge it--I've never had any trouble finding one in any car I've owned.

<http://www.squidoo.com/car-drink-cup-holder

Third degree burns from coffee that was at the maximum...221F?
Really?
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie

    Also something which McD's had been sued about before - burns from overly hot coffee.

    Tissue destroyed is tissue destroyed - be it by fire, or boiling water. And in this case, he clothes acted to hold that fluid in place.
--
pyotr
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:52:15 -0800, pyotr filipivich

It wasn't. She was careless. Her fault.

Lies noted. Case lost.
says...

Huh? McD most assuredly had been sued before. What makes her unique is that she won.
Later, somebody tried the same crap on the manufacturer of the coffee maker that McD uses. Unlike McD, Bunn pulled out the ANSI specification for coffee makers, showed that theirs were compliant, and that was the end of that.

On 12/6/2012 12:21 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

burns. If she had a car wreck with the coffee between her legs would she have included the expense for that in her suit?
to paraphrase SHE IS THE MASTER OF HER FATE, THE CAPTAIN OF HER SOUL.

A judge and jury say you're wrong. And having heard the actual evidence, I'd say their opinion is worth a lot more. Here are some of the facts:
"Stella Liebeck, 79-years-old, was sitting in the passenger seat of her grandsons car having purchased a cup of McDonalds coffee. After the car stopped, she tried to hold the cup securely between her knees while removing the lid. However, the cup tipped over, pouring scalding hot coffee onto her lap. She received third-degree burns over 16 percent of her body, necessitating hospitalization for eight days, whirlpool treatment for debridement of her wounds, skin grafting, scarring, and disability for more than two years.
Despite these extensive injuries, she offered to settle with McDonalds for $20,000. However, McDonalds refused to settle for this small amount and, in fact, never offered more than $800
The chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and bio- mechanical engineering at the University of Texas testified that this risk of harm is unacceptable, as did a widely recognized expert on burns, the editor in chief of the leading scholarly publication in the specialty, the Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation; McDonalds admitted that it has known about the risk of serious burns from its scalding hot coffee for more than 10 years the risk was brought to its attention through numerous other claims and suits, to no avail; From 1982 to 1992, McDonalds coffee burned more than 700 people, many receiving severe burns to the genital area, perineum, inner thighs, and buttocks; Not only men and women, but also children and infants, have been burned by McDonalds scalding hot coffee, in some instances due to inadvertent spillage by McDonalds employees; McDonalds admitted at trial that its coffee is not fit for consumption when sold because it causes severe scalds if spilled or drunk; McDonalds did a survey of other coffee establishments in the area, and found that coffee at other places was between 30-40 degrees cooler."
Sounds to me like the jury did the right thing.