An idiot and his table saw...

Page 5 of 9

I did measure the temperature of the coffee in the carafe as it brewed, around the time the McDonalds case was in the news.
Hmm. Perhaps the water pouring onto the grounds is hotter, but this isn't easily user accessible. Perhaps I will measure it tomorrow.
I don't recall what the coffeepot manual says, if it has one, or if it says anything. The pot was bought years before the case. Commercial coffeepots may well serve hotter.
Joe Gwinn

Right around 200F is the optimum temperature to brew coffee and extract the flavor. I agree that at 140F, I would expect crap coffee and I would be surprised to find a decent coffee maker that brews it at that temp. Also note that if you measure the temp in the carafe, it's going to be substantially below the temp where the water is in contact with the coffee.
I use a french press and an electric kettle to brew mine. The kettle heats the water to boiling and then that combined with the coffee and the room temp french press puts it right around 200F.
In article

I measured my coffeepot (Krups) this morning - the brew and serve temperature is 180 F, not the 140 F I recalled. Now that I think about it, I measured the dishwasher water temperature around the same time, and it was 140 F for "Normal" wash, so I probably mixed the answers up.
Joe Gwinn
On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:37:23 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

...and McDs and DD brewed (and served if fresh) coffee at that same 180F. Now, thanks to the stupid old bag, one can't get a decent cup of coffee.
On 8 Dec 2012 02:10:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Shouldn't you be blaming the group of jurors that awarded the stupid old bag such a large amount?
says...

Well, actually one can. McD has considerably improved their coffee since then (has nothing to do with the suit and everything to do with Starbucks).
The main change that McD made was to put signs all over the place "warning, coffee is hot".
It's stuff like this that makes me wish I wasn't an atheist. I really _want_ to believe that there is a Hell in which the Stupid Old Bat and her lawyer spend all eternity drinking lukewarm coffee.

McD's is at least drinkable (Starbucks is not) but it's stone cold.

But they lie.

+1
says...

Not around here it isn't. If it is where you are talk to the manager and if that doesn't work talk to corporate.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:01:14 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Why would I do that? Just say "no" to McD's coffee. If they want to make crap they can keep it (and I, my money).
says...

If you aren't willing to address a problem that is unique to your location then don't complain about it.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 10:30:16 -0500, "J. Clarke"

It's *not* unique. ...and no, I have no interest in fixing McD's problems when it's far easier to avoid them.
says...

Apparently it is because there are four McDonalds mear me and the all serve decent coffee very hot. If it is being served cold near you then something is wrong.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

'Very hot' is meaningless without proper measurement.
"Michael A. Terrell"
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:30:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Pour it into your lap for comparison
<G>
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Gunner wrote:

Comparison to what? I don't drink coffee, and it wouldn't come close to a glass of icewater. :)

Better. pour it into the lap of a 79YO granny. You need to get the calibration right.
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:19:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

You need identical twins to do a valid comparison. Ask Dr. Mengele.

Darn. Please identify the scale, you know like Fahrenheit, Celsius or Kelvin, that uses "very hot" as a marker on it.
But to most people, "very hot" means you have to blow on it before putting it in your mouth, or you need protection before you pick it up, or you don't fiddle around with an open container between your knees while sitting in a car
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:47:21 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

To Bunn, for example, on their commercial coffee server SH series
http://www.bunn.com/pdfs/manuals/41976.0000.pdf
The water temperature should be no less than 91C (195F)
Are any of these things actually adjustable by the restaurant?