An idiot and his table saw...

Page 2 of 9

From all that I've seen so far, it would. Blade cuts through glove then touches finger just as it would with no glove. As soon as it goes through the glove, the saw stops. What do you have to suggest that it would not prevent an injury with a glove on?

Which is why if a similar feature could be put into a circular saw it would be a good thing, no?

Most accidents caused by doing something stupid, being careless, not having your full attention on the job at hand? That's why we call them accidents, not "on-purposes". What does that have to do with anything?

This has nothing to do with people not taking responsibility for their own actions. Let's go where you seem to want to go. Let's look at conservatives who believe in personal responsibility. Do you think none of them have accidents with a table saw because they are perfect, flawless? MAYBE they have a lower incidence of accidents than the general population. But suppose it's 25% less accidents, which I think is a reach. That still leaves a hell of a lot of cut off fingers, $20,000 hospital bills, etc. Now, if a new safety feature works, can prevent that at reasonable cost, I think it's a very good thing. I'd want it in a product I buy and I'm a conservative.

Nothing I've seen so far suggests the SawStop prevents you from doing what you want to do with the saw.
Add pictures here
✖

It was Keith that dragged Obama blaming Bush and not accepting responsibility into this, not me. That is what seems a giant leap to me. And sorry, but his whole post is in fact based on ideology, which is simply a set of beliefs. Apparently he believes that accepting personal responsibility somehow negates the need for safety protection devices. That doesn't compute in my world and all I did was point it out.
> If you don't

As I replied to Keith, what does any of that have to do with the usefulness of SawStop on a table saw? It's not an issue of personal responsibility. It's an issue of safety and the fact that accidents happen to everyone.
Add pictures here
✖

It was Keith that dragged Obama blaming Bush and not accepting responsibility into this, not me. That is what seems a giant leap to me. And sorry, but his whole post is in fact based on ideology, which is simply a set of beliefs. Apparently he believes that accepting personal responsibility somehow negates the need for safety protection devices. That doesn't compute in my world and all I did was point it out.
> If you don't

As I replied to Keith, what does any of that have to do with the usefulness of SawStop on a table saw? It's not an issue of personal responsibility. It's an issue of safety and the fact that accidents happen to everyone. ======================================================== It's much more than that. Safety is fine. Having it shoved down our throats is not. If people want safe, let them buy a SS. End of story. But just the beginning of the MANDATED story, which is what that SS hustler Gass is all about.
Ditto seatbelts, helmet laws. There's no fukn safety safety concern for the public in seatbelt laws. The safety bullshit is all bullshit rhetoric, it's *clearly* all about revenue raising.
The others are correct -- personal responsibility -- and the education usually associated with PR -- could easily be MORE effective -- and as importantly, more overall PRODUCTIVE -- than a gadget that works by destruction. . Just how fukn hard is it to push a piece of wood thru a g-d saw, so's you don't get cut?? Answer: Not hard at all. Just become educated, such as thru the original vid in the OP -- which, amongst other things, showed that low-profile push-blocks mebbe aren't such a good idea, afterall.
Howzat crawling helmet going, btw??
--
EA

Add pictures here
✖
On 12/5/2012 11:59 AM, Existential Angst wrote: ...

Well, that isn't so, in reality, no.
There's a very big societal cost in the higher injury/death rates owing to folks not being individually responsible-enough to use them. It's kinda' like the class staying after school because of one somebody threw a spitball...we all pay for the sins of the few.
✖

Well, then, technically, I remain correck: Gummint don't give a fuck about an indivdual's safety, they're concerned about their own bottom line. :) :)
It's

A good analogy.... Altho I think kidnapping, extortion, and ransom are better analogies. :) And there's no SWAT team for our rescue....
--
EA

> --
✖

Well, fundamentally they're the same...and should be concerned about "their" bottom line since again, fundamentally, that's us.
✖
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:30:34 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Unfortunately, letting those people doing their stupid things carte blanche frequently ends up with society paying the cost of that stupid act. And then, there are those other people injured when the person does that stupid thing. Society usually ends up paying for those too.
The only solution is to find a happy medium between the nanny state and the freedom to do stupid stuff state. What that happy medium is though, I have no idea.
Add pictures here
✖

Sometimes people get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, even if they always have been. It's a warning not to ever again exceed the local speed limit. Like the cop said: "Oh my, we got us a local".
--
Best regards
Han

The thing is we're all paying through the nose for airbags all over the place that were originally sold to Congress on the basis that they made seat belts unnecessary, and now the reason we have to wear seat belts is to protect us from the damned airbags.
Add pictures here
✖

That "logic" can be applied to any/all of our freedoms. You really do want government to own you rather than the other way 'round.
Add pictures here
✖
says...

This notion that seat belts or banning tobacco or restricting portion sizes or the like can reduce the death rate is one of the stupidest arguments I have ever seen. The death rate is constant--one person, one death. Everybody dies. The question is not whether, it is when.
Seat belts do not save lives. They may prolong them, which is a different issue. As to "cost", which costs more, to treat acute trauma from an automobile accident or to treat Alzheimer's?
Add pictures here
✖

Statists aren't known for their logic.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/5/2012 12:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What has this to do with personally responsibility? If you are stupid enough to put a cup of near boiling hot coffee between your legs, the company that made the coffee hot like you told them you want should not be held responsible for your stupidity.
I am as safe as any one. The stupid mistake I made with my table saw is the first I have made in the 50 years of using the saw. Should I have the right to sue the manufacture because I was stupid?
The nanny state can not continue to require some safety device for every stupid action that someone makes. If someone does something stupid and looses a finger, it will be (or not be)there to remind them to be safer in the future.
Regardless of how many safety devices are places on a saw or anything else you use, they will not make you safe unless you accept the responsibility for your own safety. If you do not know enough about the saw or whatever device you are using to KNOW what is an unsafe act, you should not be using it.
Maybe the next step is for our nanny state is to regulate the use of table saws, and only allow you to use it after you have passed a test and paid the government money for a license. Because government licenses we now have no auto death or injuries.
Add pictures here
✖

I never suggested suing anyone. The thread isn't about suing anyone for anything. It's about a device that can stop a spinning saw to prevent injury. Kind of like seatbelts in cars and airbags, both of which have proven to have significant benefits.

Again, the issue was SawStop, not litigation.

That kind of Darwinian logic means we should remove all safety devices from everything and we'd be better off. Seat belts, air bags, smoke detectors..

Did you watch the video? Even the experienced woodworker didn't realize how close he came to a serious injury while making that video. Yes, there is SOME relationship between personal responsibility and accident rates. But even the most responsible person can still have an accident. I asked you before. The conservatives out there are always talking about personal responsibility. They speak out like you do about it not being right for someone to sue if they pour hot coffee on themselves. So, let's look at them. You think they are immune from accidents? MAYBE they have a somewhat lower accident rate, but I guarantee you plenty of them have had saw accidents. It's a SAFETY issue and ACCIDENTS happen] to everyone. That's why we call them accidents, not "on purposes".

Passing a test would seem to be more in line with your method, ie making people personally responsible. The only way I see a 40 year old who isn't responsible possibly becoming responsible around a saw is via education. Yeah, I know, you'd prefer he visit the hospital to learn and have all of us pay for it, right?
Add pictures here
✖

Haven't you heard? Trader4 is an economist, and knows everyfuknthing there is to know about everyfuknthing. Somehow, tho, he winds up jerking himself on ng's, instead of tryna learn a li'l sumpn sumpn -- which ultimately is the real purpose of ng's, imo.
And when you admit to learning sumpn, or being wrong, or whatever, then he calls you an idiot. Which speaks volumes about his character.
--
EA

> --
✖

May I ask if you ever intend to talk about a wood working project or do you just have time on your hands and like to bitch?
Add pictures here
✖

Funny you should ask..... Ackshooly, I'm on vacation, have a TON of shit to do, and I'm procrastinating like mad.... Trader4 is sort of a sport....
BUT, I got a treeeeeeMENdous post in the offing, for RW, on paint spraying.... yer gonna love it....
--
EA

Add pictures here
✖

You do know that this thread is crossposted to three groups?
Add pictures here
✖

Found myself thinking this topic has been flogged to death. I am interested in the reply you get from Saw Stop, and this isn't cross posted.
Mike M
Add pictures here
✖

If I didn't know better, aside form the swearing, I'd say it was Tim Daneliuk using an alias to bitch and complain while never discussing anything woodworking related.
Add pictures here
✖