An amusing recollection

It must have been 1969 when a hurricane ripped through Atlanta. I was working for an insurance company in MA then and, like many others, had to go to Atlanta on "storm duty" to inspect insurance claims for damaged houses.

I recollect pulling up to a two story house with only about half the roof shingles remaining, even though it had obviously not been very long since it was put on. A graying lady (mid 60s?) welcomed me and asked if I needed anything to assess her claim. I asked if she had a ladder that would reach to the roof and she said there was one around the side of the house. I got it and placed it up against the roof and was preparing to climb up when she started to climb up before me. I said she didn't have to do that but she said it was no bother and she wanted to make sure I saw all the damage. I told her I was capable of finding all of it and I didn't want her to put herself in any danger. She looked hard at me from half way up the ladder and said, "Who do you think re-shingled this roof two years ago to begin with?" Always admired that old gal!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

That reminds me of my great aunt Ruby. She was the toughest old woman I ever knew. At 92 she was still living solo and getting around just fine. The only thing that slowed her down (and began her slide toward passing away) was a broken hip from when she was removing her Christmas lights from her house. She didn't just lay there, though. She got inside, locked the door, and made a phone call to a relative in another state using a rotary phone that was mounted 4' up a wall.

I think I'll have a drink in her memory tonight. She's missed a great deal in our family.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst