Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Page 8 of 9

except
least
What do you base this on?
Some of the other plane makers bought the tooling and amortized it 50 years ago. Lee Valley is a relative newcomer and has a lot of tooling and engineering costs to recoup. Planes don't sell in the volumes of screwdrivers at Home Depot or Canadian Tire. LV is very competitive with L-N from what I can see. Ed
Ed Pawlowski asks:

His ability to run someone else's business affairs from afar and without facts.
Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self did say:

I think the boy may just have a future in politics!
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Flame away, children...
Alex
AAvK did say:

I'd hardly consider that a flame. And whatever it was, it wasn't directed at you.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Oh no? Then may I ask, what "boy" were you talking about?
Alex

You REALLY need to try some gooooooood hot mazto-ball soup! Chucks of chicken and vegetable, mmmmMMMMmmmm!
Alex

Actual cost? The amount of money that leaves the hand for a handplane...?

I don't think LV is supremely competetive from what I can see of price and product, and availability. They just do what they do, and have what they have. Both brands are very different designs.
The 112's for example, the LN is $81 more than the Veritas, both made of ductile iron. The Veritas is a great deal considering the quality and color of the Kunz 112 @ $89 (they need tuning from what I have read, and look goofy as hell). The St. James Bay 112 is $250 finished. So, Veritas is there with the right price and top quality on that.
But I'm not going to pay > $175 < for a LV #4, because I have paid $32 for a Stanley #4 type 19 in mint-minus condition, cost worth the tuning. $7.99 for another exact same plane as quite well used, still perfectly good after tuning it. I want to see Veritas #4 planes in borg and tool stores for a nominal $79 off the shelf, as an extreme contrast to my previous statement about online, LV-only prices.
My real point is common availability, regular prices that are easy to consider, and a wide distributership to stores and borgs @ that fine Veritas level of quality and prescision. Currently, of all things, OSH now stocks Footprint tools! Planes, chisels, and other tools. Footprint got an awesome break, that's because they made the right business descision. They are attempting to amortize at a much smaller size than LV- Veritas. The #5 costs $49.95, reasonable for the tuning work.
If the Lee Valley corp. decides to go bigger with plane production, make some socket chisels (wink) and "amortize" the entire function, they and all woodworkers would be better off. Lie-Nielson is coming close because of their actual* distributorship, but keeping costs pretty much the same, get rich time! Lee Valley is on the perfect verge / edge of being able to replace Stanley as amortized production for distribution. They can do it. So sorry to sound like such a block-head, I got me a cranium full of ADHD to fight through here... no offence intended.
Alex

Not very good. You have no idea of the cost of production do you? Cost of tooling? Engineering? The do have a bearing of final cost, as the the ability to charge what people are willing to pay.

for another

But the cost of the new planes has nothing at all to do with or in relationship to a Stanley #4. If you bought one for $32, good for you, enjoy it. What you are saying is that you bought a good used plane and therefore all planes must sell for a price close to it. I paid $2000 for my '62 Corvair and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $20,000 for a new car.
You CAN buy a brand new Stanley 9 3/4 for $35.

as an extreme

It may be possible if the volume warrants it. When you go for larger volume, you must also spend a lot of money for additional tooling, inventory, and in the case of HD and Loses, you may even have to invest in thousands of dollars in coumputer software for billing and payment. They dont just send invoices and checks like most other place.s This holds true for many of the big stores and manufactureres. We used to deal with Frigidaire. We would have had to spend over $10,000 for software. Do you think the borg shoppers will pay for and appreciate a LV plane? "The Buck Brothers for much less looks the same honey, get the blue one"

consider, and a
quality and

Planes, chisels,

the right

than LV-

I'm not familiar with either OSH or Footprint so I cannot comment. They may or may not be related to the quality and volume of the Veritas line.

some socket

woodworkers would

Perhaps, I've not done any market analysis so you may be 100% on target or you may be full of crap. Do you know what the potential market is for planes in North American? The world? Cite some figures and we can talk.

perfect verge /

distribution. They

You must hae some figures then. What is the break even point on the tooling? What is the expected volume in the 2005 and 2006 fiscal years?
Except the ones who want to keep jobs from being outsourced, of course.

Let me see. You and your fellow Lee Valley groups posts dozens of flames and I kick you pathetic asses so now you want to get 'reasonable'. LOL! You set the tone shithead. Too late to start whining about it now.
Post proof that on any given day in the last year that Americans didn't pay less than Canadians for Lee Valley tools and then we will talk. But seeing as Canadians get gouged regardless of the exchange rate you can't do that.:)

and I

Why are you here? What do you contribute? What kind of mentality like yours stays where they're not wanted?

Perhaps I should ask you that. I've been a member of this group much longer than you, or SFB Rob Lee.
HAND now.:)

Because I'm an active woodworker. You? All you've ever done is whine and complain. I've offered tips for products, given suggestions for techniques and presented URL's to products.
Your turn. Why are you here? What do you contribute to this news group?
Upscale wrote:

Methinks he's here like the unofficial spokesman from Wendy's - to do his part to generate publicity for, and promote, LV. Looks like he's doing a good job.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:35:33 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
[boring stuff]
Couldn't you have laid one "false-to-fact" on him?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
...... Now, it is a _fact_ that the value of the Canadian Dollar, vs the American

Isn't it the US dollar that is losing value not the CDN dollar rising? So the prices for the US customers should be rising which won't benefit Robert in any way. The CDN price won't change. Anyway, I'm Canadian and I hope Robert isn't giving us a bad name down south. It appears he is our village idiot.
BeerBoy writes:

Jeez. Only one? We've got thousands. Or is his motto "So many villages, so little travel time"?
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

LOL! Drink less beer dumbass.

That is a distinction without a difference. <grin>
When you're considering =relative= values in _two_ markets, the effect of one currency rising in value is exactly identical to the other currency falling in value.
The 'futures' markets price in US$, for a fixed 'face' amount of the 'foreign' currency.

Rob Lee said that their _costs_ are in CDN $, so it doesn't matter whether the CDN $ is strengthening, or the US$ is weakening -- CDN prices would remain constant.
But, yes, with the relative strengthening of the CDN dollar vs the US dollar, (or the weakening of the US$ vs the CDN$) 'U.S. dollar denominated' prices would be expected to rise.

And in the running for the _provincial_ title, as I understand it. <grin>
I also notice he wasn't bitching for the 1st half of the year, when the relative value of the dollar was _rising_, and Lee Valley didn't adjust U.S. prices _downward_ to compensate. Obviously he thinks that their 'screwing the U.S. customers' -- in exactly the manner in which he presently claims that Lee Valley is 'screwing their Canadian' customers -- *is* acceptable.
Which establishes beyond any doubt that his claim is *not* based on 'a matter of "ethics"' but pure, selfish, self-interest.