Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Page 5 of 9
Robert's not a "fellow" Canadian, he's an idiot and an embarrassment to the country.
Rob
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:zSSkd.21133$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

Well at least I don't drop my pants and bend over every time Rob Lee drops by the newsgroup.<g>
Implying I do?
Wipe that stupid <g> off your face and give it up Robert... If you don't like the way LV does business, don't do business with them. It's really that simple. LV's management doesn't have to answer to you or anybody. It's their company, it's a private company and they can do with it what they see fit. You seem to think they owe you some sort of preferential treatment because they're a Canadian company....sounds like the exact attitude of entitlement that epitomizes too many things in this great nation. I get truly sick when I think of all my hard earned tax dollars going to support the likes of you and makes me wonder if the seeing the results of the "survival of the fittest" pendulum having swung too far.
As I said before, you're an idiot and an embarrassment to all Canadians who cover your ass.
--

Rob

"Robert" < snipped-for-privacy@for.christmas.invalid> wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:38:29 GMT, Village idiot and wreck hypocrite "Rob Stokes"

It's funny I never read this from you when people call Craftsman (as an example) tools junk. I guess there's one set of rules for Sears and another for Lee Valley hey? <g>
Lee Valley can do as they like. And I have the right to point out their crappy business practices in this group.
Robert wrote:

Craftmens tools are Junk, and over priced, I've never purchased any tools from Lee Valley so I don't know about there quality, if there not, he's VERY proud of them, there a little out of my price range right now. You have the right to complain, at least I think Canadians still have that right, just remember it makes you look like a winning ass, and unfairly adds to the common preception of what Canadains are he in the states
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:29 -0700, Richard Clements
Why do you guys keep responding to this retard?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod did say:

Even retards deserve a response.
--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:29 -0700, Richard Clements

Nah, Robert doesn't make me think any less of Canadians in general. You all seem like pretty nice folks. Looks like everyone needs to grab some more tuna, though.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Canadians are not really any different than other folks. There's one like Robert in every village.
Mike

Yes, but in our village we have a pond for him to sit in.
Robert wrote:

Robert,
Lee Valley is an upstanding company that delivers the best service I have ever received. If you are not happy with them, then please take your dollars elsewhere - try Canadian Tire, the BORG, Wallmart or whatever. With an attitude like yours I'm sure they would love to have your business while you whine about the 50-60% mark up they often use. Oh, and about those hard to find items that LV carries, you will do a hell of a lot of driving to find them elsewhere, that is if anyone else has them.
By the way, have you ever figure out the overhead costs of running a business and providing real customer service?
Please take your drivel elsewhere!!

Who cares.
What does that have to do with current Lee Valley pricing policy?
Robert wrote:

Ever stop to think that maybe LV sells 100 times more product in the U.S. than Canada and that earns us a bigger discount???
Consider this: our pharmaceuticals charge us double of what you pay for medications - and I'm sure you purchase medications more frequently than a Veritas plane! You don't hear us bitching, do ya?
SHEEZ!

I'm sure that's Lee Valleys goal, but shafting Canadians who gave the company it's start is a nasty way to do it.

No. That usually only happens when the bigger customer is a single customer vs. a customer in a different geographical location with lots of customers. LV's individual single customers probably all buy about the same amount on average. The bigger sales to a single customer warrants a discount because of the cost savings in shipping to multiple accounts and bigger savings on large volume orders to the manufacturer or supplier.

Correct, but uh yeah I hear us bitching. It has been all over the national news and it is pretty much common knowledge. By contrast, the pricing by LV is not a national issue.

Actually, you guys are bitching.
However, in Canadian drugs are protected against generics for a longer period of time. Hence lower price but for a longer time. When the US generics kick in earlier, you won't want to buy Canadian drugs as they will still be sold at higher, brand-name pricing. We get cheaper drugs in the short term but pay in the long term.
Mike

This is the most intelligent post you've made in the last month.:)

OK, so the fact is that one can get an LV product cheaper in real terms w/ US dollars versus C dollars, at the moment. But, it seems that LV is the one really taking it in the shorts -- assuming it is doing its accounting in C$ and didn't hedge its currency risk -- because LV is being paid in weakened US$. Then again, to the extent that it is paying for things in US dollars that hit is being offset. But salaries are in C$, I presume.
Now, I'm not taking up a collection for any seller. After all, they could (and maybe have) hedged. But I do see that it is tough when the business model depends on a printed catalog 1 year out (or more). FWIW. -- Igor

Valley
US
Hi Igor -
You got it exactly right... our costs are in CDN$ as is most of our revenue... nothing's changed there, and our margins are exactly where they should be/have been historically. Our US revenue has declined (after coversion), as the US dollar has weakened - squeezing margins in the US.
Our inventory through Christmas has been bought and paid for months ago...any cost reductions on new vendor purchases will take several months to work their way through to reduce our average costs...
Our costs are certainly hedged - it's the revenue which isn't...
Cheers -
Rob
Robert wrote:

Robert,
[1] This is a good opportunity for arbitrage on your part. If you are really serious, do it! I know people who buy electronics, send the merchandise to friends in the USA, and then pick them up. Now, these people I know live close to the border...
[2] I don't recall any Americans complaining about how much cheaper it would be to buy CAD at $1.50CAD/USD and buy their Lee Valley toys in Canada at the time we had a 66-cent dollar. The exchange rate sword cuts both ways.
[3] If you really wanted to save some money, you could do what I recently did: I submitted an order to LV, got 7% off, and free shipping as well. Of course, this deal that got last Saturday only works if you were in the Toronto area this past weekend.
- Daniel