Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

Page 4 of 9

You mean gas is free in the US? Until recently, I had a hard time getting C$20 worth of gas into my Honda Civic.
Mike

Your kidding right? I suspect if you fill up with gas or drive around and burn gas before crossing back or bring another person or two or bla bla bla is going to create a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong line of cars to be inspected. Tell'em you bought groceries.

So I stop at the US side at Blaine, WA coming back from Vancouver driving a semi-beat-up 74 Plymouth. Guy with the appearance of a gas jocky at Chevron (not at all like the neatly uniformed Canadian border types) wants to know what I bought while I was gone for 3 days. "Nothing I didn't consume, everything I saw I could buy cheaper at home" says I. Forty five (45) minutes later they're still searching for something - one marijuana seed - anything!
Now I should have known better having once witnessed the complete ripping apart of a couple suitcases by English customs on a return from France. Guy told me he had all kinds of crap he was bringing in. I told him my old man always told me to declare *something*. He ignored my advice, declared nothing and probably spent a couple years in one of Her Majesty's Hotels.

After paying a visit to Havana and Leningrad, I stepped up to US customs at JFK, and declared my Soviet booze. The official noted the Czech embassy (Cuban) stamp and asked if I had brought back anything from Cuba.
"Uh, why?"
"Embargo. Nothing Cuban can enter the US."
At about the time I was framing my denial, he ran across the "Russian" cigars - his term - and graciously accepted three - one for himself then, and two for after dinner with his dad.
I did pay duty on an extra liter of vodka.
.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Years ago a co-worker rented a cottage in Canada for the summer. One day he while crossing the border into the US he made the mistake of telling the inspector to hurry up as he was running a few minutes late for work. They pulled him over and practically disassembled his car, removing the seats, dash, upholstery panels, etc. After finding nothing they were kind enough to loan him a screwdriver so he could put his car back together. He got to work 7 hours late.

here! (not that I do that myself of course, and I do not)
Alex

A Vancouver cop once told me they basically ignore people in possession of minor amounts of pot. If you want to get arrested you need to do something really stupid, like trying to put out the joint on their foreheads.

LOL! Never, ever reveal vulnerability.
Fortunately I didn't have to reassemble the car. But then, I'd also managed to return on a Saturday morning when all the Canadians were headed south to do their grocery shopping so the customs were somewhat limited time wise.

Or uncertainty.
We received some rather close questioning coming into Canada on a vacation. We'd spent part of our trip fishing and camping, and were intending to do more after returning to the States. The Canadian customs inspector asked if we were carrying "any weapons". My split-second of hesitation, as I considered whether Canadian customs might consider a hammer and various assorted knives to fall into that category, led to some intense and specific questions regarding whether we own firearms of any type (yes), handguns (yes), and do we have them with us (certainly not - I know better than that). I'm still a bit surprised that they allowed us in *without* a search.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:19:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

In the context of the purpose of the question, a "no" answer to whether you owned firearms would have not only been defensible, but efficient. Since you didn't have any with you (which is what the concern is), the fact that you do or don't have some sitting at home is utterly irrelevant and wouldn't/couldn't be checked, and in any event couldn't be pursued.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:19:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Or ignorance.
A friend and I were driving up from Seattle to meet another friend at the Vancouver B.C. airport (cheaper then to fly in and out of Canada to Europe). We were young (early 20s), driving a hot rod, and clearly didn't know anything. The only info we had from the friend was the time he was coming in. We didn't know the airline or flight number or his address or any other useful stuff. We spent a long time at the border...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:19:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That was my experience several years ago as well and I didn't hesitate at the first question. She didn't ask if I *owned* any guns (I would have found that quite offensive, irrelevant, out of place and none of her business). However, she must have asked me a dozen different ways whether I had any guns, weapons, ammunition, or rifles, etc. in the car. I came very close (wisdom won out however) to saying, "nope, no weapons -- would you be interested in the box of pine beetles I have in the trunk?" I got the impression that Canadians are very, very scared of guns. That was the year they were starting to register ammunition, saw the PSA's of a smiling husband and wife with the husband happily filling out his registration form, then putting it into the mail.

I live in Houston TX, in 1998 my wife, son, and I went into Canada through Buffalo. My wife rode with her aunt in her car ahead of my son and I. We were in the Pick Up from Texas. I was asked 5 times if I had any fire arms and told 2 times the penalties for carrying them in to the country. I guess because it is common knowledge that all Texans driving pickups carry fire arms it was way too hard for the kid to believe that I had left my arsenal at home. Any way, after telling the kid that we had no fire arms for the 5th time he asked me to drive up to the next building where several cars were parked with their contents being emptied. I played dumb and simply drove past. Nothing ever became of it but our Burlington relatives got a good laugh out of it.

I know that. What's more Rob Lee seems to get off on it. He appears to love his Yankee groupies and not give a rats ass about the country that gave his company it's start. He basically said we Canadians pay more to subsidize Lee Valley's American customers.

Snip

Well if it makes you feel better, we Yanks have to go to Canada to buy our American made drugs at a reasonable price.

AAvK writes:

Nonsense. It wouldn't work. The gas I bought in BC would certainly add weight coming back to the US, as will the quart of oil I added. The mud I picked up will do so, too. Conversely, the mud I wash off in Georgeville, PQ won't come back through Derby Line with me, so the vehicle is lighter, and I didn't need to buy gas, because the place I was going was only 15 miles over the border from Vermont.
Who fed you that one?
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Alex
Did it star Cheech and Chong?
The difference in density of 20 gallons of gasoline at 95F versus 45F would make a few good doobies....

Some propaganda is a good thing. I think you witnessed it.
Robert wrote:

What an asshoile - must be a seperatist french canadian! Are you ignorant or apathetic, and don't say "I don't know and I don't care."