Americans seem to be getting a better deal from Lee Valley.

Page 2 of 7
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:43:54 -0400, Rob Lee wrote:

Not to change the subject, but my catalogs show an address in Ogdensburg, NY. Is there actually a store there, or is this just a U.S. maildrop?

Hi Ray -
No store there , we have a shipping and receiving warehouse. Only 60 miles south of Ottawa.
Cheers -
Rob

No one's taking lumps ordering from LV at all, as far as I can tell. Sure beats the heck out of Woodcraft or Rockler!

A few years ago I drove up to Rattlesnake Point in Ontario to go climbing. Around Hamilton my partner and I discovered that we thought the other was bringing the rope. We stopped at a sporting goods store and bought a US made rope for C$135. Turns out the price here is US$135 and the rope company didn't bother to print a Canadian price list! So, they were selling in Canada at a 25% discount.
Just in general, MEC in Toronto sells many products at a third less then they are sold for here, but they have an agreement with the manufacturer not to ship to the US.
So, it cuts both ways.

At least not in mail order or online. If I lived in a large city this probably wouldn't be an issue. I will likely spend around $1500 online this Christmas between companies like Futureshop, Mark's Work Wearhouse, and Lee Valley. I rarely visit the stores, in fact I've never seen a Lee Valley and haven't been in a mall in 10 years. I shop online, mail order, or not at all.

Robert -
Are you comparing our prices with our competitors in either country, or just just contrasting our prices in US and CDN dollars?
AFAIK, we're competitive in either country....against vendors in that country.
We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work exactly - or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct them - which for us, is annually.
Cheers -
Rob

for Canadians they apply the exchange rate. This has caused some items from the States to become pretty good bargains.

It's sad to see this.
There was a day when companies priced their products on a fair markup. Now it's 'competitive' pricing. There are still a few companies who price according to a fair profit on their goods. They are worth their weight in gold. It's too bad Lee Valley isn't one of them.

Robert -
It seems no matter what questions I answer for you - you make some objectionable attribution. You must really have a poor opinion of businesses in general - to always assume the most negative motivation, or least flattering interpretation of a statement.
Frankly - I don't think I can give you any answer or explanation that'll make you happy.
Have a good day...
Cheers -
Rob Lee
Rob Lee responds:

Not to worry. If he's fool enough to believe what he has written, then it is his loss. I know it can't often be said, but there are some customers you're better off not having. Apparently, Robert is one, and you'd wear yourself down trying to satisfy a person who has a built-in and durable animus towards Lee Valley.
It's a shame, but it's also his loss.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
On 28 Oct 2004 16:52:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie, all these years of reading your posts and I never knew you were an idiot. Well, you learn something new every day here at the Wreck.<G>
HAND now.

Robin there is nothing positive about bragging 'competitive' pricing. Competitive price has nothing to do with 'fair' pricing and you know it. Fair value for our customers at a fair price is something to brag about.
You are not old enough to remember the start of the 'competitive' price wars. As an assistant manager of a large chain store and by virtue of being a young muscled 6'2" man I was on the battle front of 'comparison' pricing. London Drugs had me arrested TWICE for price checking in their stores. I was hit in the back with a can of tuna thrown full force at another. I can't count the stores that threw me out. Ahh, those were the days.<g>
All that said I love Lee Valley, your prices may be suspect right now but your customer service is definitely 'old school' and in a class all it's own. I'm willing to pay more for that. I just wish those damned Americans were paying the same price.:)

That's nothin'. Once I was whapped upside the head with a package of Twizzlers. Another time someone threw a whole case of Peeps at me - I tell you, it almost made me take a step backward.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:08:31 -0500, "Grant P. Beagles"

customers that Lee Valleys Stainless Steel Bucket $28.50CDN is only $9.88CDN down the street at Princess Auto you wouldn't get any free coffee either.<g>
I'm not complaining mind you, just sorta pointing it out. That's one hell of a markup Robin.:)

<snip>
See what I mean?? All I wrote was that our prices were competitive...and from that you infer an entire set of business practices...
I give up (and now understand the guy with the tuna : ) ....
Cheers -
Rob
Robin Lee wrote:

JK
--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

for Eatons.

Reminds me of a saying my father used. "Some folks would kick if they got hung with a new rope!" Indicating that there's no pleasing everyone.
I'd be happier if you had a 'fast shipping option', since I'm on the Left Coast of the US. No one has ever accused me of excess patience...
But other than that, no complaints.
Patriarch
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:58:31 GMT, patriarch

you bitching about slow shipping to the US?
I have only ONE complaint as well.
Robert wrote:

I'm always surprised to hear anyone complain about slow shipping from Lee Valley. I had always assumed they had salvaged the transporter from one of the earlier Enterprises. I guess Delaware just isn't very far away.
JK