American Handyman November Project

In the November issue of "American Handyman" there is a fairly simple project for a wall mounted cabinet.
I decided to build it and blindly followed the cut list and made the cabinet and then the door. The door appears to be 3/4" too narrow and 3/4" too short.
I e-mailed the author, and he maintains the measurements are correct. I recut and re-made the door 3/4" wider and 3/4" longer than the specifications. Now it fits perfectly.
I'm posting this on the off chance that someone else out there has also tried making this cabinet and run into the same problem.
Comments anyone?
Bob,
My first rule of thumb for building from plans in a magazine or building from your own drawings or when building as you go is to measure the next assembly using the prior part or assembly as the guide for the measurement.
In other words, when making a drawer, do not cut any of the drawer pieces until the opening is completed. Then make the drawer the right dimensions to fit the opening. Same thing with cabinet doors. Make them to fit the opening. If you cut all parts in advance, any error even in 1/16 in or less, the errors multiply as you assemble.
Regards,
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker www.woodworkinghobby.com