Amazon Regrets?

Page 1 of 3
If anyone is suddenly finding themselves regretting their impulse Amazon binging last night, feel free to share with those of us less fortunate. I have been looking for a good price on a dw735 for over a month, totally unsuccessfully. And who wouldn't want a $100 compressor, or a $150 Dado King? Wait a minute, actually it's all trash. ALL OF IT!!!! Because I'm the generous person that I am, I'll be willing to take it off of your hands. I'd even offer you your full purchase price. I figure this generosity will put me in the running for a Nobel Peace Prize.
Seriously, though, nice score to those of you diligent enough to check the newsgroup frequently. I'm just a little jealous is all. After all, isn't that what Christmas is all about?
Well done.
NoOne289
When asked "Who didn't benefit from the insane Amazon discounts" your response would be "NoOne". Oh, yeah and Amazon. Bums, all of you.
[...]
I figger about 90% of next weeks posts will be gloats if everything works out. --dave

My order for the radial arm saw showed up until after lunch. Now it shows I didn't order anything. If they are not going to honor their prices shown they ought to at least send out a email explaining what happened. Hopes dashed and gloat gone.
Mike S.
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them? -Aaron

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem to have shipped.
DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details Nov 19, 2004 04:01:47 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED
DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details Nov 19, 2004 02:51:02 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED
-j

My wife made an interesting point. The compressor and dado seem almost as if someone posted Amazon's cost instead of selling price. A.K.A. wrong column from a price list. $149 for a Dado King and $100 for the compressor sound a lot like typical wholesale prices.
The Unisaw's a bit weird. I find $400 something to be well below what the wholesale cost should be. If wholesale was that low, somebody would be probably be selling them for $800, new. I would expect a Unisaw to go $700-800 wholesale.
Barry
I work at a camera store in SF. Amazon approached us to see if we would be a vendor for them. They said they work on an 8 % margin. Whatever we offer for sale, we ship from our location and the pay us the sale price less 8%. It sounded like a good deal except that they will not deal with sales tax and we have to charge tax for In state sales. We had to turn them down. I wonder if their margin is 8% for everything? max

I have two local guys who routinely beat their tool prices. Tools don't retail at an 8% margin. The 8% is simply Amazon steering extra sales to the existing camera store.
However, they may get 8% of Tool Crib's margin. The wholesale prices I spoke of could be Tool Crib's price. AFAIK, Amazon owns Tool Crib.
Barry

My suspicion is that you got your order in early and it shipped before Amazon figured out their mistake. I wasn't so lucky. But I don't hold a grudge. I figured it was probably too good to be true.
todd
Nope, I did and got the standard "it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the inconvenience." Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be reactivated. I'm not holding my breath.
And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.
Russ

$400 unisaw...I guess some things are too good to be true. -j

Not sure what state (or country) your in but here in Michigan they can get pretty hefty fines for this. If the order is taken they have to sell one unit even if the price is in error. This applies to interstate commerce as well as I understand it. Here it is called the pricing and scanner law. You might want to look up any such laws in your state and pursue it further.
Daryl

Russ, did you clear the content of this post with Bob? It sounds like it might not be 100% about woodworking. Our new moderator, Bob, probably would not approve. You've been given fair warning.
todd
LOL Yeah, thanks for the warning. I'll keep the front door deadbolted tonight just in case. (striker plate opening created with a chisel and hammer, everyone happy now? :)
take care, Russ

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (daryl1138) wrote in message

IIRC, the scanner law only applies to 10% of the difference up to $5.
Retailers should not be held accountable for accidentally displaying wrong prices. Nobody is perfect. If it's a bait and switch however, there ought to be penalties.
As a web programmer, I can certainly understand how a mistake like this could occur. What Amazon could do is offer a $25 or $50 gift certificate for those people affected, just as good business policy.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (daryl1138) wrote in message

IIRC, the scanner law only applies to 10% of the difference up to $5.
Retailers should not be held accountable for accidentally displaying wrong prices. Nobody is perfect. If it's a bait and switch however, there ought to be penalties.
As a web programmer, I can certainly understand how a mistake like this could occur. What Amazon could do is offer a $25 or $50 gift certificate for those people affected, just as good business policy.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote in message

FYI, The scanner law also stipulates that once the firm acknowledges an order they are bound to it as in a contract. Once again, this law will vary state to state.
Amazon used to be a good place to go for tools. I've bought several hundred dollars there in years past. I recall a post about a year ago they shipped customer service overseas (India as I recall). I can't verify that is true but it does fit well with the time their service went through the floor.
Lucky for me it led to discovering other sources such as Lee Valley who still know what customer service means.

I was thrilled to see a charge on my credit card this morning for the Dado King. The package tracked to the UPS hub in Louisville.
Now the order is "temporarily unavailable" in Amazon's system! 8^(
Barry

Can I issue a pre-emptive, global, "Well, I _did_ tell you so" at this point, without sounding like a snot? I've been down this road with Amazon before, and until it's in your hands, they can and will call it back if it's a big enough error.
Dave "No? Well, just checking" Hinz