amazon or not?

Page 1 of 2
I got a call from amazon sales wanting me to sell through their site. The cost is pretty good and far less then what eBay charges. It's month by month so I am not locked into anything. They deal with all the credit card processing so I can get regular payments over just paypal. It will be somewhat impersonal like eBay. I do need more sales to keep going. My sales are so up and down it is hard to pay the bills. If anyone wants more details email me and I can give them to you.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve,

Plus cheeper then ebay.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
From a marketing point of view it would make sense, Steve. Just think of the millions of people that get the amazon.com mailing and having your beautiful planes in their catalog certainly can't hurt your sales. Who knows, it might just work TOO well and cause you to have lead times of many months due to high orders :)

that does worry me but I don't think it will happen. but if it does I can always pull it for a month and catch up.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:46:22 GMT, Steve Knight

Or outsource some parts to some of us. <G>
Barry
in message

Yep. Or maybe even take in a partner? <G>
D. Mo

I have done a little of that with mouchblocks and the totes. I would like someone to make the blades for me. it is not hard but I don't like working with steel. someone to sand the planes would save me a lot of time.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

My best friends own a company called Seattle Chocolate. They just started selling via Amazon. It has only been a few months but they are extremely happy so far.
Bob McBreen

I went and found them looks good. kind of dull compared to my site but still.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I purchase from Amazon all the time. It's truly an excellent site and I believe you would be well served by having your products included. I think lesser quality suppliers would jump at the opportunity offered you.

If I were you, I'd go for it. What do you have to lose?

only some time.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Amazon. Heck - anyone else notice that Grizzly's there too???
Steve, It appears that one of us is confused, (probably me). Amazon usually only handles the back end of the site. You'll need to revamp your site to references to the allocated Amazon page(s). Also, I believe their policy is for no back references. Once the potential customer is on amazon, they will have to back up or reload your site manually to continue shopping your products.
Good luck,
Myx

I know I will upload my info through excel. so they will be hosting the site. not my site but theirs with my info. I need to read the paperwork when I have the chance. so I won't have my site used. there would be no way for them to take their 15% of every sale otherwise.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Knowing what I know from this group, where I'd buy your stuff wouldn't matter, everthing else being equal (dependable service, secure transaction, etc.), although I'd prefer to buy directly from you. But if I DIDN'T KNOW what I know from this group, I'd be more likely to buy from Amazon than E-Bay, only because in my biased mind, a "retailer" like Amazon somehow has a bit more credibility than an "online auction site" like E-Bay.

you may be right. I just don't know. I sell usually from 1 plane to all 5 a week on ebay. never know really. but ebay is expensive and I don't get a lot from it. but I get 400 or so looks every week.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:49:33 GMT, Steve Knight

How is Amazon's 15% less than Ebay's 3% + $0.35/listing, Steve? More time spent in listing? Use templates.
Ah doona unnuhstan, suh.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

also add in paypal at about 3% and ebay listing fee's. just to put 5 planes up on ebay costs me 35.00 even if they don't sell. amazon will charge me 40.00 a month. Plus I will be selling retail on amazon not dirt cheep like on ebay. listing is easy on ebay it's all the other stuff sorting out emails sending payment requests rushing to get the tools out faster.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes