Amazon Heads Up

Page 2 of 3

said:

Sure have. My uncle got busted running cigarettes in the mid 70s. It hasn't reached the level it needs to yet. Go smugglers.

I hope I'm on the jury.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid says...

So what will you die of instead?

The gambler's fallacy, that playing the odds gives you control.

You're still going to die.
YOU may never know.
You're still going to die.

Never know what? That you're going to die? You are, trust me on this.

Based on history that would be true.
You are attempting to predict the future so "YOU may never know"
You're still going to die.
says...

It is true that I may never know with certainty that you have died. However that you _will_ die is the only thing more certain than that you will be required to pay taxes.

J. Clarke wrote:

Howcome, even though all those religions tout "eternal life," everybody dies anyway?
Thanks, Rich
DGDevin wrote:

I've also seen a 35 year old man in good shape have a heart attack thanks to smoking for the previous 20 years.

zero, and remove the last word.
Tom Del Rosso wrote:

I once had a next-door neighbor (Well, actually, down the hall in the apt. building) who was 35 and looked like an iron-pumper (very fit and buff) who never smoked a day in his life. He also dropped dead of a heart attack.
Who's to blame for that?
I'm 61 3/4 (62 next March) and have been a smoker since I was about 19; at my last checkup, I was found to be essentially as healthy as a horse.
Admittedly, I get a little winded when I pump my bike uphill for a mile or two, but I stop, have a smoke, and don't feel winded any more.
But the Church of Antismokerism is really stepping up their attacks - I think it's because they're afraid of being supplanted by the Church of Warmingism as the National Religion.
Thanks, Rich

The tax bill has pass the Illinois house, has yet to pass in our Senate. If it does, the governer will sign it as it was his baby.
Mark

Kind of jumping in the middle here... orders from Buy.com and Amazon.com have incurred New York state and local sales tax for a number of years now... My order volume from them dropped as it took away the price advantage. Other out of state companies have taken up the slack...

That "75% increase" sounds worse than saying the state income tax will rise from something like 3.2% to 5.5%. Doesn't it now? ...particularly when you're trying to tar a specific political party.
A pack of cigarettes costs, what, $10.80 in New York? Most of that is taxes, too.
If you haven't already, this would be a good time to stop smoking.
said:

The 75% increase is from 3% to 5.25%.
Only 10 states have a lower tax rate on the median income than Illinois and eight of them don't have any income tax.
We should have gone to 3.25% ten years ago. We wouldn't be in the mess we are now.
Paul K. Dickman
says...

You should have fired a bunch of bureaucrats ten years ago. As long as there is unstolen money in the hands fo the people, the size of government will increase. Its growth will cease only when it collapses under its own weight.

The bureaucrats are the least of our problem, a legislautre dominated by one ego manical politician is at the top of the list. They will pass anything and not pay for it. Our past impeached governer spent and invested with friends.
Ah yes the home of Honest Abe.
Mark
said:

It is what it is. Typical liberal trying to play down a tax increase. Doesn't matter, typical American doesn't know what percent means anyway.

Sounds like a little kid when he gets cought doing something wrong. "But he's doing it to". I'll tell you the same as any other little kid. Just because he's is doing something wrong doesn't make it OK for you to do it.

Very true but if you value your freedom, you will buy them any way...from the black market.
Steve wrote:

Either way sounds bad. Remember, I'm in a state that doesn't HAVE an income tax. Then, too, we don't have a lot of state services - such as psychological diagnosis and treatment for your dog. We're also a Right to Work (Scab) state.
Also, percentages, by themselves, are misleading. Put another way, if your state income tax in Illinois was $1,000 last year, it'll be $1,750.00 next year.
That said, Illinois has a lot going from it; mostly rich people.
Tell you who I feel sorry for: Boeing. A couple of years ago they moved their corporate headquarters from Seattle to protest the high taxes in Washington state. They moved to Chicago.
The Dominican Republic is looking mighty good...
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 13:34:13 -0600, Ignoramus29524

Why? Some kind of pissing match about income reporting?

Illinois wants Amazon to pay sales tax for items sold to IL residents.
So they are passing a law that says that any web retailer that has affiliates in IL, has "physical presence" or something like that, and is obligated to pay. So, amazon said, it will just terminate all Illinois affiliates.
Since I do not make any money from anazon affiliate program, I do not personally care too much.