Amazon Heads Up

Page 1 of 3
In general, Amazon offers some good deals.
But there is a "however" documented by recent observations that deserves elaboration:
1. The price Amazon offered on one tool was more than 40% higher than that obtainable at a local big box during the height of the Xmas season. Sure, you have to shop around but the discrepancy was whopping if you preconceive Amazon as reliably competitive.
2. Amazon sent me an email offering deals on certain tools it modeled would be of interest. One tool was already in my shopping cart. Separately checking the cart showed the tool pegged at a figure $10 lower than their email offer.
3. Deciding to read all of the reviews on an item, I opened a new page just for that purpose. After moving through a succession of new windows--and seventy some reviews or so--I noticed the price on the last review page for the merchandise was now measurably higher than that featured on the original item-description page still open. Reloading the original item-description page did not make that price leap to the higher figure on the last review page.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
I also recently received an email from them warning me that they will be terminating all Illinois Amazon affiliates.
message

I:
I affiliates in other states are not being terminated, you have to wonder what new Illinois' law they disagree with and, if it isn't obvious, why.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Illinois isn't the only state that is attempting to collect taxes from Amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/3y6xfjj
Max
Edward Hennessey wrote:

Illinois just announced they were moving to collect sales tax on internet purchases.
In 1992, the Supreme Court ruled a state cannot do so unless the company they are attacking has some sort of physical presence in the state (Quill v. North Dakota). Amazon is terminating affiliates in order to disconnect from any possible physical presence.
If Amazon allowed its affiliates to remain part of the Amazon family, Amazon would be obliged to collect the Illinois sales tax and forward it to the state.
In addition to the internet business, the Democrat-controlled state legislature intends:
* To raise the state income tax by 75% for the next four years, and * Add $1.00 / pack tax on cigarettes.

That sounds totally democtrat.

Right. Get used to paying that tax. It will be permanent.

They're going to continue to do crap like this until a tipping point is reached. Once it is reached (they aren't far from it now), a new criminal enterprise will appear: Tobacco smuggling. Not only are they no longer going to be able to collect tax on it, it is going to be quite expensive as law enforcement have then got something else to deal with. I don't smoke myself but when it gets to that point, I will buy one case of cigarettes a month (maybe more depending on price) to support the black market.
"CW" wrote in message

That sounds totally democtrat.

Right. Get used to paying that tax. It will be permanent.

They're going to continue to do crap like this until a tipping point is reached. Once it is reached (they aren't far from it now), a new criminal enterprise will appear: Tobacco smuggling. Not only are they no longer going to be able to collect tax on it, it is going to be quite expensive as law enforcement have then got something else to deal with. I don't smoke myself but when it gets to that point, I will buy one case of cigarettes a month (maybe more depending on price) to support the black market.
Reply: Is already happening in NYC. Their extra tax made the price of a pack $13-15. There are still as many cigarettes being sold, but the tax receipts are down. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124804682785163691.html

These twits always claimed that the goal of taxing cigarettes so high was to encourage people to quit. Anybody with half a brain knew better. I think cigarettes is just the tip of the iceberg. Shit's about to hit the fan and the politicians are getting scared. Go smugglers!
The legislators and other liberals are power mad, gone wild. Smugglers are capitalists of the purest nature. In this case, I side with the smugglers. Though I don't smoke, and am allergic to tobacco.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Quit smoking. It's bad for you.
In

if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something else to tax? be careful what you wish for<g>
says...

The political pendulum has swung back and forth long before you and I were born, and it will swing back and forth long after you and I are dead, regardless of how much we fret about it.
Either way, smoking is really bad for you.
When the govt loses revenue to smugglers. They talk about "making up for the shortfall". However, when the common citizen has his taxes raised, his take home pay is reduced. Why don't politicians talk about "making up for the shortfall" in personal take home pay?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
sam wrote:

That's not the point of course. After that, they will go after alcohol, lottery tickets, video games...
Bill

How long after that will it be before the people declare open season on politicians?

Black market already exist in Illinois, "Da Outfit" in Chicago has been making money that way for the past 20 years.
Mark

It ain't just the mob. http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S 247859
Paul K. Dickman

Cool. Go black market go!
Martin Eastburn wrote:

My, there's lots of brands (now). Just go to Sam's (or wherever) and ask. Start with the cheapest and work up.
Here are a couple of examples:
Clipper http://www.gothamcigars.com/Clipper-Cigars/products/233 /
Supreme (these are $16/carton on this web site but I pay $11 at Sams) http://www.gothamcigars.com/Supreme-Blend-Filtered-Cigars/products/200 /
If you're a smoker, I recommend you invest less than $20 and experiment. If the new brand is palatable, you'll save $2,000 a year. If you just can't stand them, you're out a double sawbuck. Twenty dollars to possibly save $2000 sounds like a reasonable gamble.
It's a better deal than switching to CFLs!

Obviously, you've not been paying attention for the last twenty or thirty years.