Amana rail and stlie bits

Anyone out there have any experience with the Amana Instile and Rail system router bits. It looks as though by combining shims and cutters it's possible to adjust for plywood panels, in a frame and panel door, from

3/16" to 17/32" thicknesses. The tenon length would be 3/8" inch. Given that plywood doesn't move as much as solid wood, I have always glued a plywood panel at a few spots to help with the overall rigidity of the door when cutting "stub tenons" on a table saw. One question, do you think that the short 3/8" tenon would result in a stable enough door to use this set up with a solid wood floating panel without gluing the panel? What I'm looking for, is a straight rail and stile bit set up that would work for Mission, Craftsman, Shaker style doors. I see that Infiinity. MLCS and Amana make a set that they call Shaker Style, which has a slight bevel on the inside face of the rails and stiles. ( Which I have never seen represented in Shaker furniture ) , I assume that the bevel adds some gluing surface for strength. I just had my first experience making 8 doors with an Infinity set that cuts a different profile, and was impressed with the speed in which things came together. I'm looking at a Kitchen remodel in the Craftsman style and am looking for a bit set. Thanks
Reply to
d.williams

I've been using this set for 6 months (about 150 doors).

Being able to set them up for plywood thickness has been a real plus.

The tenon length is just fine: I haven't had 1 failure (yet...knock on wood!).

I know what you mean by the bevel on a Shaker door...who came up with that goofy idea? I've yet to see a Shaker door with that detail!

---Woodson

Reply to
Woodson