Am I the only one. . .

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Puckdropper)

That's probably a good idea. I'll have to see about getting some decals or try transfers and put a name on the side.

There's a saying among model railroaders: "A prototype for everything." It's still fun to learn that your scratch built building has a real presense somewhere. :-)

Puckdropper

Tue, May 22, 2007, 8:07pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: That's probably a good idea. I'll have to see about getting some decals or try transfers and put a name on the side. <snip>
There's links on-line, somewhere, on makng your own , custom, decals. If you're wanting decals, instead of painting the leters on. I don't do anything with decals, so I dont have the links saved. Anythng along those lines I print out, cut out, ad glue down. Hmm, now I think on that, that could be a better way if you want to make signs, or billboards. I do have some links saved for sign-making, with different lettering styles and all. If you're interestd in maybe going that way, let me know and I can give you ssome links. Hmm, I just came up with som good thoughts for my railroad layout, when, if, it gets worked on. Hehee Hmm, that also starts the germ of an idea for some other things too. My goss, I's a geenyus. LMAO
On May 22, 9:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

The weather is nice... time to open my box of LGB. Better not. I'm moving my shop first. I love LGB trains. I grew up with a lot of Marklin, but sold it to get myself a new Triumph GT-6. Then MUCH later, I bought some LGB for my kids..(bwhahahahahah *diabolical laughter*)

Gee, that's an original excuse. :P

Not too much unlike Angela needing a Domino soon?
*more diabolical laughter*
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Puckdropper)

I've read a few of those articles... At the moment it's more than I want to get in to. If I simply get a dry transfer lettering sheet from the LHS (local hobby shop) I can have the building lettered in a few minutes.
I'm not going for a sign, as there's no space for it. At one time, I had something above the garage door, though.
Puckdropper

Wed, May 23, 2007, 6:12am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: <snip> I'm not going for a sign, as there's no space for it. <snip>
Sure, plenty of buildings, specially metal, with an actual sign on the side of the building, rather than a pained sign. But, your building, your call.
For some reason I'm reminded of one of the model shows, where a guy had a small TV camera in his locomotive, and the view showing on a TV. Very neat, very realistic view too, looked like a video from a real train; too bad it was B&W.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (Puckdropper)

Either way might work well for a modern building. I've seen both styles...

I've seen them at shows. They're pretty neat things, but good color would be important... and operating at frequencies other than 2.4 gHz. (More 2.4 gHz noise, the harder it is to get a good WiFi signal at a distance.)

Puckdropper

<snip>

Well, 2.4 gHz is what's unlicensed spectrum. And that's where all the commodity parts are made.
Tradeoffs in life.
Patriarch

Isn't there also 900 mHz, and 4.8 gHz? What's wrong with putting some stuff in there?
Puckdropper

Wed, May 23, 2007, 8:04am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) sayeth: <snip> I've seen them at shows. They're pretty neat things, but good color would be important... and operating at frequencies other than 2.4 gHz. (More 2.4 gHz noise, the harder it is to get a good WiFi signal at a distance.)
A model cow on the tracks looked very realistc. LMAO The train operator had a sick sense of humor.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in

Realistic, until the train hit it. No damage to the locomotive, and none to the cow, I bet. (Well, the cow would probably be damaged and the locomotive would just get messy.)
Puckdropper

Leon wrote:
| || that prefers the old yellow carpenter's glue instead of the new || tite-bond glue? | | Maybe so.. ;~) I prefer the new Titebond III simply because of the | color. It dries to a light tan color instead of Taxi cab yellow.
B'sides that, it's much more filling and has no bitter aftertaste. :-P

Geez that takes me back to my old paste eating days in 1st grade. :~)
Yeah, that yellow Titebond sure doesn't tast as good as that white first grade paste glue.
I didn't know there were others out there who liked that stuff too. I know that my buddies and I were always getting in trouble for eating it. So much so that when we graduated to second grade the teacher passed on a warning to our next teacher to watch us if glue was going to be used. That teacher went out and found some terrible tasting stuff, and she broke us of the habit.
--
Charley

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message

And you can't sniff either one.
What fun is that? <G>
Sat, May 19, 2007, 2:19pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LowellHolmes) doth sayeth: that prefers the old yellow carpenter's glue instead of the new tite-bond glue? As a side lite, I've spread glue with popsicle sticks, acid brushes, and Norm's glue bottles. My preference at this time is a small artist's spatula. It's a small one that will reach into small places.
Probably. My prefer is Titebond II.
Spatula, eh? That's a fancy Latin word meang, " one more thing inventd to solve a non-problem, and then to misplace". Shave down a popsicle stick.

Which "new Tite-Bond" glue of which speaketh thou? Type III vis-a-vis Type II or I?
If you want a "traditional" aliphatic yellow glue, try Woodworkers' Supply's "Ol' Yeller" -- it's somewhat less than the name brands and afaict, just as strong, etc., as any of the others.
As for personal preference, I use "yellow glue" routinely unless there's a specific need of something else. Color could have some bearing in some applications I suppose, but really can't think of one off hand. In general, glue lines are thin enough that in the kind of work I do they're essentially nonexistant and I rarely use light enough finishes on light enough wood that it would be an issue. Although I am getting ready to do some work w/ some maple that could become significant--hadn't thought of that up to now...
All of them are of very similar strength so that's really no selection criterion. The primary disadvantage of Type III (and to a lesser degree Type II) is higher cost first, and particularly w/ III, the longer drying time can be a bother.
On Sat, 19 May 2007 14:19:21 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"

I use various TB's according to the temperature in the basement shop. Right now the thermometer reads "moderately expensive", aka TB II. I couldn't find what application temperature good old elmer's carpenter glue is rated for. Otherwise I don't have any problem with it.

I use the back of worn out sandpaper for larger surfaces and strips of veneer scraps in tight spots. There's always a beat up piece of sandpaper to be found somewhere nearby and then straight into the trash it goes.
-Leuf
Lowell Holmes wrote:

A couple of people have mentioned that they don't care for the "short" open time of TBIII. There is a TB Extended, and a TBII extended. My brain is about "set" but I seem to remember reading somewhere about a TBIII extended. I did a quick (very quick!) Google search and could not find TBIII Extend, but that brings to what's left of my mind -
1. Could something be added to TBIII to increase the open time just a tad. Like maybe a drop or two of water?
2. Do you think there may be a TBIII Extend in the future?
Wayne