am I being pedantic

Hi Redron hear. I have just ordered some exotic wood from a suplier I will not yet name, here in good old England. The size stated was 6" 6" 3" when I recieved this it was 6" 6" 2 3/4" Pau Amarillo or yellow wood to our American friends and lacewood the same size also 1/4 inch short. These woods cost 6 each; would you expect precise measurements or am I being pedantic. The point is if I paid these suppliers 2 less for each piece they would not like it, so why should we put up with short measures. Redron

Well, in the U.S. if the wood is still "rough cut" you would expect the sizes stated. If the surfaces have been milled you would expect less on width and thickness but at least the stated length.

4 by 2's in North America are really 1.5" X 3.5" and Everyone is aware of that. We don't get to pay less.

That is correct if you are buying construction grade material.
If wood were a manufactured product, sure, but since it's organic and only holding the shape of a board thanks to a fair amount of trouble, I'm less inclined to sweat it. They probably have a number of pieces, each cut to maximize the individual board, so no two are exactly the same and the stated measurements are averages.
Sounds like you wanted bowl blanks (or other turning stock) of a specific size. If I did not get what was advertised I would be very unhappy. Return them and get the size they stated if possible. Don't trust the vendor in the future unless you ask about exact size.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:04:41 GMT, "ronald Carney"

Was the supplier Craft Supplies?
If so, I've ordered quite a few pieces from them in the past, and all of them have been supplied to the sizes stated? Never had any problems with their customer service department, always very helpful.
I would get back to your supplier and ask them to send you a new blank and to collect the undersize one at their cost.
Let us know who the supplier is, and the outcome, so we can avoid them if they don't rectify their error.
Graham