Always follow instructions?

I had almost a gallon of Varathane water-based floor urethane left over from a small job. Lowe's doesn't sell it in smaller amounts. On the instructions, it said 1.) don't spray it, which for floors, I guess that makes sense, and 2.) don't apply in direct sunlight. So, being the live-on-the-edge rebel that I am (ha) I sprayed it on a newly stained dresser, in direct sunlight, as 1/2 of my workshop is my driveway. The results were great. It dried quickly and smooth, with only light sanding with a sponge block between coats.
So now I'm wondering about Deft. I've always had good success with the spray can variety but I noticed on the gallon can of "brushing lacquer" that it says not to spray. The rebel in me is itching to try it anyway. Has anyone sprayed Deft Brushing Lacquer? Any other out-of-the-box woodwerkers out there, and if so, what experiences?
Thanks, Will
I think they just don't want you to thin it, due to EPA regs. pretty sure the "deft rep" told me you could thin it. I'm sure it would work fine. tony

from
that
woodwerkers
I spray the gloss type all the time with a Critter gun and it works just fine. It does need to be thinned a bit so it flows out on the surface though. How much thinner depends on the temperature. No experience with the semi-gloss.
If I were marketing/selling Deft products I'd probably also say not to spray the canned version so I could sell more of the much pricier spray cans.
Art

<snip>

from
What kind of gun did you spray it with? I've never had any luck getting a decent finish trying to spray polyurethane, but that's a different beast.

that
woodwerkers
Can't help you with that Will. Never tried it. I do like your rebellion though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

NorthIdahoWWer wrote:

Yes, I spray it sometimes - if I have enough to do that makes it worthwhile cleaning up my cheapo <gasp> Wagner airless. Whether or not I thin depends on temp...want it so there is plenty of time to flow. Don't spray in sun, it will dry too fast.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
I don't even think about using my Wagner for lacquer! I use it for latex when painting walls but it always spits globs when it starts running out of paint.

NorthIdahoWWer wrote:

Fill it more often :)
--
dadiOH

Yes.
I believe the "do not spray" may be more an EPA thing than a Deft thing. I thinned it a bit (30%?) with lacquer thinner and sprayed several small projects with a "Critter". Deft has additives to slow the drying down, making it brushable, so it'll take more time to dry than standard lacquer.
For real lacquer jobs, I like H. Behlen / Mohawk, but the Deft was laying around...
FWIW, Deft is available in spray bombs with a slightly different formulation.
A finishing guru posted that proprietary solvent is required for brushing but lacquer thinner can be used for spraying.
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:25:25 -0700, "NorthIdahoWWer"