aluminum poles

I have a project that would be easier with a long aluminum pole (16 feet) does any one have any idea what type of suppler might carry this.I'm in the Baltimore/Washington area so I'm not asking for a company name ,but would take if you got one.
Len
leonard (in soKdnb0EMbG0AKTYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com) said:
| I have a project that would be easier with a long aluminum pole | (16 feet) does any one have any idea what type of suppler might | carry this.I'm in the Baltimore/Washington area so I'm not asking | for a company name ,but would take if you got one.
You should be able to find a distributor in your yellow pages. You'll probably need to cut down a stock 25' tube. It'll help you to know diameter, wall thickness, alloy, and temper - but if you don't have a good idea what you're after, the distributor should be able to provide advice.
I order aluminum stock from TW Metals in KC, which probably isn't useful info for your location.
leonard wrote: > I have a project that would be easier with a long aluminum pole (16 feet) > does any one have any idea what type of suppler might carry this.
Look for a nonferrous metals distributor.
What alloy, OD, ID and or wall thickness?
Do you need a contiguous piece or can you sleeve two (2), 8 ft lengths together?
Lew

Durett-Sheppard in the Highlandtown/Dundalk area of Baltimore would be a good start. 410 633 6800. If they don't have it they can likely tell you who does.
You don;t say what diameter or wall thickness you want, but if you consider steel, than think about EMT or pipe. Both are available in 20 ft lengths from their respective suppliers.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Try some tent or outdoor display suppliers in your area.
Wow, Festivus is here already??
B.

Not having specifics on the diameter you might look into:
http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm
They've been useful to Amateur Telescope Makers in the past and don't seem to mind "minor" orders.
Crazy Ed
thanks for the replies. What I'm looking for can be in two pieces about 2 inches in diameter and lightweight(thin walled) like a lighting fixture.
len
leonard wrote: > thanks for the replies. What I'm looking for can be in two pieces about 2 > inches in diameter and lightweight(thin walled) like a lighting fixture.
2 pcs, either 1-/2" or 2" alum conduit and a coupling.
Any decent electrical distributor.
Lew