Aluminium Saw Table Top

Page 2 of 3
You'd do better _reading_ than "thinking".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Yes ma,am.
UA100, who always _obeys_ the nuns...

um.... no.
it isn't just you.
    Bridger

Me? For sliding and bearing surfaces I'm a paraffin (a hard wax, not kerosene Jeff) man myself.
UA100

I dunno.... Parraffin -the candle wax stuff- seems to me like it would hold sawdust better than caranauba. when I was a hammer swingin' house builder in southern california I'd put a heavy coat of beeswax (a little softer than parraffin) on my hammer handle to make it less slippery. I'd put a thin coat of it on plane soles to make them more slippery. it did both fine, and a block of beeswax was easier to carry around than a tin of paste wax and the associated rags and such. the hammer handle I didn't care how much dust it trapped. now, the plane makes shavings, not dust, and the layer was very slight. I never had a problem with the wax getting dirty. these days I work mostly in the shop. I use caranauba on plane soles and that seems to work fine also. and if I'm driving a bunch of nails, it's with a nail gun.
as far as saw table tops, I've been using caranauba all along. never tried parraffin... but if it works there like it does on a plane sole it should be fine. It does seem though like it would be more trouble than caranauba to apply evenly to a large surface like that. do you dissolve it in a solvent or melt it on or sumpin? and how would you say the two compare as far as protecting the iron from rust?
has anyone else here soaked iron in linseed oil prior to waxing it?     Bridger
While not as totally irrelevant as your "Silicone is NOT wax" remark was, I'll take the same condescending high road as you did and point out that it's properly carnauba, NOT "caranauba".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

not always. try: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q ranauba&btnG=Google+Search
Yabbut, check out the first four words on your reference page: "Did you mean: carnauba? " ... that's a pretty damn sure google sign of a misspelled/wrong search word.
In any event, close enough for a woodworking forum . everything else is just cock-a-doodle-doo.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Hey Bridge, I think he just stuck his tongue out at you.
A' yup, I do believe he did there just now.
UA100, trolling for moles...
Stick to your usual "pant load" asides, Keith ... Bridger's a big boy and can take care of himself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Yes ma'am.
UA100
Bridger:

For surfaces like saw tops I scribble it on like a crayon. Miter slots just get it rubbed up and down the channel a couple/few times. Trunnions get a good scribbling where I can and then I work the mechanism back and forth (to and fro David).
What ends up happening is, those tiny little spots where iron isn't meeting iron (as in the case of parts moving against each other) get filled in a little with the paraffin to the point where, well , it's a filler and it slickens things up.

Um, I, well, I have to, well, OK, I LIVE ON THE EDGE OF LAKE MICHIGAN WITH THE GULF STREAM AT MY BACK! THERE IS NO HUMIDITY! (1)
It also helps that I have a sealed (concrete) floor in the shop and I do run a dehumidifier during the months of *higher* humidity.

I'd need something the size of a wading pool for my saw top.
(1) Now some local who was born and raised here will lie and say there is. To that I say, New Orleans.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

That should have read "JET STREAM".
UA100, who wishes we'd get the Gulf Stream so we could wooddork in the back yard with our shirts off...
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:29:54 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

Which finishes are affected by this truly insignificant quantity of wax ?
Silicones, now you're talking, but I just won't have any of them in the workshop. -- Die Gotterspammerung - Junkmail of the Gods
Andy Dingley wrote:

That's right, keep wimminz out of the shop 'nless they have *real* gajumbies...

LOL.....just tell him to use neet.....waxing really hurts.
--
Jon Down
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lamblies&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25
George Kazaka writes:

Give me a reason. I've been waxing table saw tops for almost 50 years, so why should I change now?
Charlie Self
"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Oh no! He got Charlie!
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:01:16 -0700, "George M. Kazaka"

Look, some of us just have very hairy saws.
And it's a sensitive subject, so don't take the piss.
Yes. Things slide much easier with wax.