Alternatives for fence faces?

The clips used by the manufacturers are Mod-Eez. Mod-Eez makes a variety (20-30?) of them.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Mark Howell

They are attached with self tapping machine screws and covered with laminate.

I'da thought after all these years someone at Biesemeyer or Delta would have come to their senses but really neither company is focused on making anything better, just making the same thing over and over until the competition stomps them through the floor.

(looks around, wonders, "why everybody looking at me like that?")

UA100, who thinks the new Chiwanese fence on the new Chiwanese Delta WantSaBeAUnisaw actually looks like someone has been thinking about it...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
Mark Howell

Mark,

I think you're only considering 1/2 of the problem. The metal fence tube will be uneven on > both < sides and getting those sides perfectly parallel (or close enough) will be a tough job since each of the screws presents a high spot. If you get one side flat it must be parallel to the "tweaked" side or when you use that side of the fence it will not be parallel to the blade.

Hope the above is clear enough and depending on how bad your fence is, you may save yourself a lot of grief by making the fence faces out of ply or MDF. They would be easier to shim out if mounted with screws rather than those clips.

Also think you should give Jet a call. I went thru 3 fences with them before I got one that was welded square. They admitted to having a QC problem and were eager to fix the problem - no hassle even when I called the next two times....

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I straightened the one side of the fence already. All it took was a sanding block, a machinists square, a flashlight, and a 2' Starret straight edge. I had an acute case of dyslexia; the screw areas were *low* spots. Basically I sanded the paint flat, and the only place I got down to metal was the far end.

Yes, I'd really like to get some 3/4" Baltic Birch ply and use that. I got the UHMW down to .005", but the stuff is like a wet noodle when you take it off the fence. How about a piece of Corian? Heck, 005 is good enough I guess.

I would have if it was really bad, but it was just the paint...

Reply to
Mark Howell