Alternates to red oak

I have been using red oak for several years and always enjoyed working with it, but I am looking for other species for a little variety. I mostly build furniture both large and small. Does anyone have any suggestions?
K Anthony wrote:

Walnut Alder Pine Cherry White oak Mahogany Beech Birch...to name but a few.
Dave

You forgot my two favorites; butternut and bubinga!
Toller wrote:

offered the OP plenty of choices. :)
Dave
David wrote:

You might add sassafras and locust. Quartersawn sycamore is also nice, if a bit light and soft. Sweetgum, when it can be found, is interesting (as are black gum--tupelo--and black willow, but they're even harder to locate).