Alternate way to attach breadboard ends? Lag Bolts?

Can't comment on your design; however, will offer the following:

I avoid lags and carriage (AKA: Coach) bolts like they were the plague.

It has been my experience that sooner or later, they strip either the thread or the corner under the head.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hello everyone,

We all know the traditional way to attach breadboard ends. Peg and glue middle 4'ish inches, peg ends in elongated holes, no glue.

I was thinking about different ways to attach breadboard ends the other night and I came up with this,

How about with Lag bolts?

No, really, lag bolts...

My top is 40" wide and 1-11/16 thick solid ash. The breadboard end is 6" wide. The tongue on the table and groove on the breadboard end is 5/8" by about 1-1/2"

I was going to drill three 3/4"x4" counterbores in the edge of the breadboard end that would be the end of the table, one in the centre and one

8" in from either end. The center bore would get a very slight clearance hole drilled clear through, same with the outer ones, but they would be elongated left to right. All three holes would have the correct hole drilled through into the breadboard tongue for a 1/4" lag bolt.

I glue the middle 6" of the breadboard end and screw on the breadboard end with a washer under the end of a 1/4"x3" lag bolt. I screw on each outer end, but use no glue. I plug the three holes with 3/4" plugs.

This should keep the end tight and allow for movement.

What do you think?

I hope I was able to get across my idea...

Thanks,

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

I guess it's a matter of choice, but unless you're simply looking for the easiest attachment method, my preference would be to use some type of spline, maybe a blind spline or whatever a hidden one is called.

Reply to
Upscale

I think that the hand made, triple dipped galvanized ones from Old World Lag Bolts would look spiffy.

Get the gold anodized washers.

The contrast will make it even more better.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson