alt.woodworking

FYI, someone calling themself Charles Sheller has sent csmgs for alt.woodworking, alt.woodworking.marketplace and alt.woodworking.plans.

Nothing about all-ages, tho.

Reply to
tm

The neighborhood kook is continuing its attack.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

You got one too huh?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

tm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsflood.tokyo.att.ne.jp:

Thanks for the heads up. They appear to have been legitimately created by the admin of a small NSP..probably someone following the discussion who wanted to beat Susan and Vito to the punch, and shoot down their chances for proposing a reorganization of rec.woodworking. I don't see any connection to the soft wreck proponents. The charters are too loose, and there is no mention of "decency" or foul language. The alt.* hierarchy does not require a vote, unlike the Big-8.

From the control messages..

CHARTER: alt.woodworking

This is a general woodworking forum. Woodworking discussion of any type is encouraged, with the exception of any promotional material for sale, auction or trade. No advertising of any kind is permitted. Binary postings other than digital signatures are not permitted.

CHARTER: alt.woodworking.marketplace

This forum is a marketplace for items related to woodworking. You are permitted to list items for sale [FS], trade [FT], or want-to-buy [WTB]. Pointers to web auctions [FA] for products of interest to woodworkers may also be posted here. These postings must be restricted to the private sale, trade, or auction of personally owned items. Commercial entities or dealers may not list items, services, or promotional material of any kind to this newsgroup. Binary postings other than digital signatures are not permitted.

CHARTER: alt.woodworking.plans

This forum was created for woodworkers to post, archive, and discuss free woodworking plans and ideas for projects. No advertising or promotional material of any kind is permitted. You may not sell or solicit plans for money here. Binary postings other than digital signatures are not permitted.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:271020042302286068%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

They appear to be legit. This can be a good thing. If Susan and Vito ever really submit a multiple group reorganization, the rebuttle from NAN would be "There's already an alt.* group like that". If the soft wreck proponents were behind these three new groups, the charters would probably be much more restrictive and preachy. If the kook(s) was/were behind them, there would probably be a more ridiculous/crude element to the charters.

Not to worry. Propagation of alt.* groups is poor, compared to Big-8 groups.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

There's a "Charles Sheller" listing in the vote result for soc.religion.satanism and rec.woodworking.all-ages. Voted yes on both.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave Balderstone wrote in news:281020041238016334%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca:

Like I said..someone following the discussion. He appears to favor the creation of new groups :-) I still think if it was meant to be a troll attack, there would have at least been some kind of an announcement to get a rise. Let it play out for a while before slamming the guy. The alt.* hierarchy is unmanaged; anyone with proper access and skill may create new groups.

If the news.groups kook was able to send out control messages, he probably would have put them in rec.* instead of alt.*.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

tm wrote in news:tm- snipped-for-privacy@newsflood.tokyo.att.ne.jp:

None of the new alt.* groups were hijacked, because they were never under any discussion. The only proposed woodworking group was rec.woodworking.all-ages, that was in rec.* not alt.*, and there was no alt.* version of all-ages created. You should be careful what you accuse people of without proof.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

tm wrote in news:tm- snipped-for-privacy@newsflood.tokyo.att.ne.jp:

Sorry for my last post. I hadn't read this one yet when I posted it. :-)

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill