Alphabet blocks?

Hello: I am new to this group, as well as to woodworking in general.
I am thinking about making some childrens' alphabet blocks, and I've been looking at some for sale. I am wondering why all of the blocks have only two sides carved, and the rest of the sides are just burnished. Is it that you can only carve on certain aspects of the grain?
Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Carol.

I'm guessing they only carve endgrain, so the little bits of wood won't break off into a toddler's mouth and choke him/her.
On 10/23/03 3:38 PM, in article ZLYlb.16805$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,

Many times the letters are scroll sawed out and glued into a recess in the block.
"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the