"Alone in the Wilderness" (very on topic)

I know that I am way behind the curve on this, but last night SWMBO & I stumbled across our local PBS fund raising marathon.
Usually (lately anyhow) I skirt by these, but the documentary they were showing was so fascinating that we could not switch channels.
It was entitled "Alone in the Wilderness". If you google the title, you will get more info than I could provide here.
We sat there mesmerized. If you are a woodworker, it is that much more amazing.
Excuse this post if this is old/recycled stuff (I think the film footage is late 60's). We had never seen it before.
Had to share this.
Lou

Lou, I have watched this about 5 times now, and am captured every time. It is truly an amazing production. I do sincerely think it was one of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen. All done pretty much by a non-professional.
I despise PBS as of late, but it does seem like they bring this out every time they are looking for money. That along with some great classic rock.
1968 IIRC was the year of production.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
After watching it, I bought some t-handled augers and a hollow auger to add to my hatchet and axe. I have been waiting for the chance to make some "furniture" on one of my next boy scout outings. It was amazing what this guy did. Not only was he surviving out there, the was filming himself. Glen

Glen, Be careful. Some of it he did not film himself. Although I think he did most of it. If you know that he had a little help filming, next time you see it, it will be clear the few parts he did have help with.
Still and AMAZING production.
Chris
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.
On 12 Sep 2005 19:35:46 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glen"

If this is a movie based on the adventures of Dick Proenekke, I urge you to READ THE BOOK! http://tinyurl.com/929c6 or <(Amazon.com product link shortened)26619573/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0554864-4657760?v=glance&s=books&nP7846> Truly amazing!
---- - Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? - http://diversify.com Web Applications
quickly quoth:

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)26619573/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-0554864-4657760?v=glance&s=books&nP7846>
Never thought about getting the DVD or book elsewhere. I refuse to give money to PBS anymore. I will definitely be buying the DVD and book elsewhere now. This program I am sure had nothing to do with PBS at the time it was made. They sure are trying to make money off it now.
Same thing with the classic rock shows they use for begging money. Moody Blues comes to mind. Do you think that PBS would of given the Moody Blues the time of day back in their prime? Of course not. Now they are. Why? Because the generation that liked them, now has money.
Larry, If you have not seen the film I would strongly urge the same. Truly amazing work.
Chris
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:10:46 -0400, loutent wrote:

First time the wife and I saw this I told her she needed to marry that guy. Or maybe I do. Man what a craftsman. Get the book it goes into more details.
DGA