Almost neander'd away

Page 3 of 3
(Conan The Librarian)

I'm a Nikon man from way back, so I'll take a look at it. I want something that's small and won't go on the blink immediately when exposed to high levels of humidity. (I.e., I'm not planning on dunking it in the water, but there's a chance it will get splashed on.)

That ain't a river, son. That's a sewer.
If you want rivers, try the Pedernales, Guadalupe, Brazos, Colorado, Neches, Blanco, San Antonio, Trinity, Comal, Pecos, San Saba, Medina, Frio, Neches, Red, Sabine, La Vaca, Angelina, San Marcos or Llano.

Jet boats? Hmmm ... must be kind of hard to keep your line in the water, no?

Er ... I'm not sure I wat to know.
But, if you have some spare madrone, I'd be happy to take some off your hands.
Chuck Vance (who used to live on a street called Trail of the Madrones, though there weren't actually any madrones there)

On 3 May 2004 06:41:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@txstate.edu (Conan The Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

I haven't yet gone on the waterfall tour up here but might get a chance next weekend. The 995 worked fine at the wet end of the falls from the dam, but that was brief, maybe half an hour. I haven't extended exposure to much hummerditty.

Then why isn't it named the "Rio Caca"?

Ooooh, did you say "Angelina"? She's beautiful and dangerous. (I know nothing of your river, but the character played by the blonde in "Romancing the Stone" was like that.)

I understand that fishing is poor for the week of hydroplane racing. It's nothing like the Miss Budweiser and her Unlimited Hydro pals on the Sandy Eggo circuit, but it's fun. These are about 1/3 her size and only half the noise. (but noisy enough at 80-90mph)

Luckily, I was checking the tension in the newly-sharpened blade I had just installed when I failed to raise my hand that extra 1/16" and the tip of my left bird finger caught one tooth. It neatly ripped a 1/16 x 1/16 x 3/8" long "chip" out of the tip. I don't think I want to see what a moving chain would do to human tissue/bone. That little stunt raised my awareness and respect for the chainsaw considerably. I won't be doing that again any time soon.

The neighbor next door (to the other side) is an almost-retired lumberjack and he regularly brings in large madrone logs to cut up for firewood. I think the growing trees are absolutely gorgeous, but folks around here think of them as firewood trees. So, one of these days, I'm going to White City to see if there are any small mills around who a) work with madrone and b) who will do QSW oak. I can order QSW in lots of 100+ bf for $4.50/bf from Portland, sight unseen, the next time I have an extra $450 lying around.

That's too bad. They're like overgrown manzanita with their cocoa-brown skin showing through thin bark, and the leaves remind me of rubber tree leaves. I hadn't seen them until I moved up here, and they're all over the place. I pass a 30' specimen on my road home and it glows in late afternoon sun.
----- = The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
(Conan The Librarian)

Let me know how it goes. I want something that can be carried in a fishing vest pocket. If it's awkward or bulky to carry I'll wind up leaving it home. And if it isn't somewhat water-resistant, I'm afraid it won't last very long.

I don't know what the locals call it. (Actually, to be fair, SWMBO and I spent a week in the Big Bend area recently, and it was beautiful. In some places the river actually looks more like a mountain stream than a big muddy river.)

Most of the rivers mentioned above are beautiful and dangerous. As an example, I was out on the Pedernales a few weeks ago. We had some storms in the area overnight, and I got out to the water about 8:00 in the morning. The river was up a bit but running very clear. I fished for an hour or so, and then at one point I stopped to change flies. In the time it took me to pick a fly and tie it on, I noticed a change in the sound of the river. (I thought it was the wind at first.) When I looked up stream I could see the the floodwaters as they approached. It wasn't quite a wall of water, but it looked like oil on water as the previously calm river was overtaken by the dark brown waves. It was the damnedest thing I've ever seen.
Within five minutes, the spot where I had been standing was probably five feet underwater. I read on the USGS site later that the flow had spiked from 100 c.f.s. to over 3000 c.f.s. on that morning. (And that's not even the wildest surge in recent weeks. On April 6th it went from 90 to 10,000. (Yes, that's 10K.))
Anyhow, many of the rivers are carved out of limestone and there's not a lot of vegetation on the hills arond them. When it rains the water finds the low spot and presto ... severe flash-flooding. After watching it firsthand, I can see why many folks get killed when they hit. I figured out was going on quickly and got back from the water, but someone in a canoe or just not paying attention could have been in trouble.
Let's see ... where were we? Oh yes: beautiful and dangerous. :-)

To me a chainsaw is the anti-Roy. Noisy, loud and dangerous.

I expect you'll be sharing more wood gloats with us as you live there for a while. Keep us posted (and send me some madrone).
Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Joe
Conan the Librarian wrote:

Yesterday I was working on a spice rack for SWMBO - had my Record #80 in use for the first time in two decades. I looked up and saw some thing I'd never seen before: a /social/ gathering of hawks at the farm next door.
I didn't get a really good picture with the camera; but I'll post it over on ABPW...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I don't get the binary groups (well, I can get them but not the pictures associated with them). Got a link to a site where I could see that pic? I see hawks on a regular basis down here, but I've *never* seen them in a group.
As for the Record #80 -- I'm assuming that's the same as the Stanley #80? If so, that awful screeching noise they make is probably responsible for attracting the birds. ;-)
Chuck Vance
This thread caused me to take a snapshot of last night's "Remains of the Day". I'm posting on ABPW w/ this thread's subject. Happy shavings, Gary
snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) wrote in message

I think you can "sneak up" using power tools but I agree it's not as rewarding.

....the quality of the task you're doing and the grain of the wood rather than being consumed with making sure you don't lose blood/fingers/etc.......

Your local birds have better manners than mine. A pair of mallards waddled up my driveway on Sunday evening and the female left a big present near the entrance to my gar^h^hshop. I hosed it off and then got the neighbor kids, who fed the ducks some bread. After the excitement was over, I walked back into my gar^h^hshop to find that the male had left his business right in the middle of the floor. They're very close to becoming dinner.
Cheers, Mike
On 20 Apr 2004 10:45:20 -0700, half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote:

tough if you don't handle them right. If hanging doesn't appeal, you might consider slow braising.
Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
half snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike) wrote in message

I always thought mallards were almost as bad as sh*thawks (seagulls, Paddy) if they're tame. Thanks for confirming that. :-)
We get them on some local fishing waters, and wherever people have fed them they become a real annoyance. They will literally come up and try to steal anything you set down on the bank. Sometimes they'll even chase fishing lures/flies.
If you do decide to make some duck soup, save the feathers for me. They have lots of uses in fly-tying. :-)
Chuck Vance
can you use parrot feathers in fly-tying? just a curiosity as we have a parrot and from time to time he loses a few.
BRuce
Conan the Librarian wrote:

--
---

BRuce

BRuce <BRuce> wrote in message

I guess it would depend on what type of fly-fishing you were doing. The colors would definitely be worth tying with, but if you are trout-fishing, I imagine they'd be a bit too big for normal tying. For saltwater tying, it's possible that you could find some uses.
You could always send me some and I'll let you know for sure. :-)
Chuck Vance