Almost Gloat and almost free wood for somone

OK, I'm kicking myself now. qty of 3 piles of KD 8/4 Black Walnut heart wood 400 board feet each pile, and one 200 board foot pile. Suposedly was stored dry for 8 years. (It was in the rain at an auction though). Auctioneer started with the 3, 400 bf, piles first. Winning bidder had choice, 1, 2 or 3 piles at the winning bid price. The guy won the bid at $160 and, of course, took all 3 piles. The smaller pile went for $165. I dropped out of bidding at about $140. My problem was 1, I did not need that much wood for my next project, and 2, I do not have a bandsaw or planner or decent jointer.
What I was thinking - If I won I was going to offer to give FREE half or more of the wood to somone here on the wrec in exchange for some resawing and planning work. I'm in SE PA. Would there have been any takers? If there would have been I am really going to kick myself again.
-B

I'm not near you, but if I was, I'd go for it. Good deal for everyone.
Well, you almost suck. I could see that deal working out easily. Tom
Just an fyi - what I do in that situation - espically when its large lots like that.
If I get one and I know I can only use 1/2 of it - find the others that were bidding on it and ask if they want x amount for x dollars. Most people dont need that much either and will split it w/ you.

Yea, i was thinking that too. Things were fast and furious. I was figuring the first winning bidder was thinking the same thing or would only want one lot and that the second or third would be cheaper but that rascal took all three! He was an Amish furniture maker. He knew exactly what he was buying and didn't jump into the bidding untill the end! His poor horse and buggy though!
I was at an auction where 500bf of oak went for $250. I talked to the new owner; he told me to take as much as I wanted for the same price he paid for it. It was more than he had any use for it, and was glad to have less to move.
Even better, I was at an auction where a huge pile of corian went for almost nothing. The buyer told me to take want I wanted for free. I took all I could carry in a few trips, and then sadly let it go.
Next time, try it.
I'm probably near enought to you, I'd have split it or taken some - keep me in mind next time. I'm in York - where are you?
Nick B

I live in Phoenixville - The auction is very near you, in Leola near Epherta. See my other post with more info on the auction.
How do you find out about these auctions?
Driving home today I saw a sign on the sde of teh road that said 'Hardwood Auction' with a phone number? Is that what I should look for?

This particular auction is held monthly. Hardwood is hit or miss. In addition to the Black Walnut they has some Oak. The vast majority of stuff at this particular is surplus building supplies. Things like construction lumber, plywood, windows, doors, cabinets, hardware, roofing, hardscaping, plumbing, electrical, trim, trusses, truss joists, junk, trash and firewood (I added the last three as some of the stuff people buy falls into those categories).
Some of my past gloats at this particular auction. Maple wall cabinet for shop - $1 Solid Cherry 4' wall cabinet for laundry room - $10 Solid wood exterior door with 9, true divided lites - $65 Prehung metal Stanley exterior door - $85 <<not a gloat Two pallet loads of concrete block - $5 1 pallet of "adhesives" included wood glue, dap glazing, construction adhesive, Wood Dough and other things. All multiple full cases. $15 I then sold off individual cases in the auction parking lot and made $40. So, I got more than I wanted AND pocketed $25 Some stuff goes for more than its worth IMO. 2x4x92 1/2 for $3+ is crazy at an auction if you ask me.
What is an interesting dynamic at this auction is the Amish. They will not shop at the borg. Sometimes they drive the price up on stuff.
Anyway - The next auction is second Thursday in November. If anyone from the wrec is going let me know and I'll buy you a cup of coffee if I'm there. if your building a house bring your plans. If you bring a friend or two, bring cell phones or 2 way radios. They have a bunch of auctioneers going at once and sometimes you need to be at 2 places at once. Arrive early so you can scope things out. Bring a truck and trailer if you have one.
Here is the link. http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com/Lumber.htm http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com /

Let me see if I can trump your gloat. I too went to an auction Saturday in Sumerset Virginia where they sold several thousand bf or 4/4 cherry and 6/4 walnut, all cut in 1998. I bought 468 bf of the cherry in two lots for a total cost of $240. I wish I had bought more. The lumber was run of the mill, not necessary top grade, but at least 75% clear. I'm very happy :-)
Gary

If you send me a bit of that cherry, I'll repost the suck part in all caps, though... *g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing