Alkanet root

Anyone used alkanet root as a red dye ?
It's a traditional dyestuff, but I'm finding recipes and preparations thin on the ground. I'm also finding it immensely non light-fast.
I'm using the "red oil" preparation. Simmer a little of it in your favourite finishing oil, then apply as normal. I guess I need a mordant though, to try and stabilise it against light.