Alibre

Do we have any Alibre users in here?
I am....

Certainly seems comprehensive. I downloaded the 30 day jobbie and I think I could take a shine to the sheetmetal mode real quick. Lots of cool modeling tools and IGES - STEP - SAT - STL export... that's a biggie for me. I'm going to give this a little effort.
On 2/12/2010 4:53 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I've seen it, and have previously gone through some of the videos. That is some damned cool software, Bubba!
I was amazed at the similarities in tool function and methodology with SU ... but Alibre is waaaay more than just SU on steroids.
AAMOF, if I ever needed more than SU, this is where I would most certainly gravitate.
I'd bet Morris would also find this right down his alley and would probably be a good fit for his endeavors.
How does it "export" to the CNC world as far as ease and compatibility?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The software (Vectric Aspire), which is now the front-end of my cnc, generates the toolpath files that my post processor needs to run the positioning motors. Vectric has a pretty good toolset to create all kinds of designs but lacks some of the CAD conventions I have become used to. (Sweeps, extrusions, multiple extrusions, etc.) Aspire does have a good set of import filters which allows 3D files from many platforms to be imported. As I keep my mac and PC totally separated as I do not want the toys that are in direct contact with my cnc to be anywhere near the intarweb. Sometimes I want to do something quick and dirty without doing the SneakerNet thing and a basic CAD package with some modeling capability and STL export would be handy.....and for $ 97.00...nothing to talk about...I'm all over that deal. There is no need to spend the big bucks on AlibreCAM as I already own Vectric Aspire. For presentation photorealism I will stick to what I know on my mac.
The kinds of requests I have been getting have been all over the map. 1" thick letters for outdoor signs,. 400 3" tags for a sign company, grilles for light fixtures, custom vanity top shapes, just a whole heap of fun. After one year of trying to flatten the learning curve, I am finally getting comfortable with this. It would have taken a lot less time if I didn't have a business to run also.
It's creative, therapeutic and makes me money.... shoulda done this years ago...
On 2/12/2010 7:12 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I've thought about buying it simply because of the price/capability ratio, and the fact that some of the skills and mindset from SU would transfer in the upgrade.
My old "need before purchase" upbringing keeps getting in the way ... one reason I've successfully resisted downloading the 30 day trial.
Temptation strikes again ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Well, after springing for the Festools, you may not be able to afford it!
I downloaded the 3 day trial quite a while ago and like it. This fall they ran a special for about 45 days where you could buy their $999 Alibre Design for $99. Coming from a Pro-Engineer and Autodesk Inventor background, this seemed like the best alternative. I have done cabinets, old machinery parts, and model railroad layout work with it so far.