aircompressor -- It would be nice if....

It would be nice if someone could come up with a way a compressor could serve a dual purpose such as a vacuum pump in addition to an air compressor. I was thinking about inventing some kind of a diverter that could be connected to the air intake port of the compressor with tubing to a vacuum bag for gluing laminates. Have any of you out there heard of such a thing or is that a dumb idea?
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 17:34:58 -0500, Dave wrote:

Yes. A venuri-based vacuum generator uses a compressor to drive it. But instead of using the compressor intake, it uses the output compressed air.
Its not as efficient as a well designed vacuum pump, but it does work.
You can buy one from http://www.joewoodworker.com
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
Art Greenberg wrote:

Here's another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Conditioner-Air-Vacuum-Pump-Air-Vac-Gas-A-C-AirVac_W0QQitemZ110156664379QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22664QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Dave wrote: | It would be nice if someone could come up with a way a compressor | could serve a dual purpose such as a vacuum pump in addition to an | air compressor. I was thinking about inventing some kind of a | diverter that could be connected to the air intake port of the | compressor with tubing to a vacuum bag for gluing laminates. Have | any of you out there heard of such a thing or is that a dumb idea?
I use a recycled refrigerator compressor as a vacuum pump. It works fairly well.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/interest.html

My brother uses his compressor intake line for a vacuum chucking system on his lathe... It works ok, but I'd rather hear the little Gast pump I bought from Bill Noble (shameless plug) than my damn compressor running.. YMWV
Just MHO, but I like multi-use tools about as much as "all in one package" computer software...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:
| My brother uses his compressor intake line for a vacuum chucking | system on his lathe... | It works ok, but I'd rather hear the little Gast pump I bought from | Bill Noble (shameless plug) than my damn compressor running.. YMWV
My lash-up is shown under the end of the table in the fifth photo down at the page below. One of the problems I have is that it doesn't make /any/ noise to remind me to shut it off...
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/pix.html