aircompressor -- It would be nice if....

It would be nice if someone could come up with a way a compressor could serve a dual purpose such as a vacuum pump in addition to an air compressor. I was thinking about inventing some kind of a diverter that could be connected to the air intake port of the compressor with tubing to a vacuum bag for gluing laminates. Have any of you out there heard of such a thing or is that a dumb idea?

Reply to
Dave

Yes. A venuri-based vacuum generator uses a compressor to drive it. But instead of using the compressor intake, it uses the output compressed air.

Its not as efficient as a well designed vacuum pump, but it does work.

You can buy one from

Art Greenberg

Dave wrote: | It would be nice if someone could come up with a way a compressor | could serve a dual purpose such as a vacuum pump in addition to an | air compressor. I was thinking about inventing some kind of a | diverter that could be connected to the air intake port of the | compressor with tubing to a vacuum bag for gluing laminates. Have | any of you out there heard of such a thing or is that a dumb idea?

I use a recycled refrigerator compressor as a vacuum pump. It works fairly well.

Morris Dovey

HeyBub

My brother uses his compressor intake line for a vacuum chucking system on his lathe... It works ok, but I'd rather hear the little Gast pump I bought from Bill Noble (shameless plug) than my damn compressor running.. YMWV

Just MHO, but I like multi-use tools about as much as "all in one package" computer software...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

| My brother uses his compressor intake line for a vacuum chucking | system on his lathe... | It works ok, but I'd rather hear the little Gast pump I bought from | Bill Noble (shameless plug) than my damn compressor running.. YMWV

My lash-up is shown under the end of the table in the fifth photo down at the page below. One of the problems I have is that it doesn't make /any/ noise to remind me to shut it off...

Morris Dovey