Airbrushes Part II

Page 1 of 2
I posted this question in airbrush.art but have yet to received a response. I ended up buying a Paasche H airbrush by the way, single action. Thought it might be a little easier for my wife to learn.
The question. I have a regular type air compressor in the garage. Craftsman 25 gal? red tank jobby. Does anyone know if this compressor can be used with the airbrush? Last time I had an airbrush I used a tiny craftsman, tankless? variety.
Thomas
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:37:34 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

The airbrush doesn't care where its air comes from. It would, however, like it at a little lower pressure than straight outta the red tank jobby (seems to me I remember my Pasche wanted something on the order of 20 psi or less). Although you can adjust the regulator on the compressor, I found it a pain sharing the compressor that way with the other big air hogs. So I ran a drop with its own filter/regulator over to the air brush area of the shop. That would be my suggestion for you.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
That would be a good idea. I primarily use the compressor to inflate the tires on the cars when they get low. Other than that the compressor isn't used much except on the occassion when a brad is needed somewhere. If it becomes too much of a hassle to swap out I'll look at splitting the line.
LRod wrote:

absolutely. I've got a Sears 30gal in the shop and have used it countless hours with an airbrush to paint models. You'll need a good in-line filter just before the gun to keep out moisture. I also have a Paasche brush...
dave
Thomas Mitchell wrote:

suppose I didn't have an in-line filter at the current time and tried to use it without one?
Bay Area Dave wrote:

if you not using a water based product, you'll have moisture in the finish which can range from minor blemishing to ruining the finish. morale of the story is get a filter unless you live in an ultra-low humidity area like NV. the smaller compressors like yours and mine will create more moisture problems than my first compressor: a 2 stage, 3 phase 80 gallon Champion. It ran infrequently and didn't get as hot, so it wouldn't condense a lot of moisture in the tank.
dave
Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Ok until I get one will practicing without a filter do any damage to the airbrush? Ie gum it up or anything?
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Thomas Mitchell wrote:

No, it won't hurt anything. Just between you, me, and the fencepost, I haven't ever bothered to buy one. My compressor doesn't have a tank though, so that might be a factor. I usually do my airbrushing in fall and winter, when the humidity is low, and I only use water-based products. I've been able to live with the rare water drops, and haven't ever gotten around to buying one of those moisture trap dooflatchies.
Running off of a tank though, it's possibly a different story. The tank probably has some water in it, and even if you completely remove the drain valve thingie (if you even can) and tip the thing to try to drain the last drops of water out of it, and then take it out to the middle of the desert, it will probably still be somewhat moist inside. So you really do need to buy one of those dooflatchies as soon as possible.
I like to think I live in Big Enough City USA, wishing I lived back in Smallville.
Silvan wrote:

20,000 is smallville. Tell me where it is so I can move there. :)
CW wrote:

I was wrong. I just looked it up. It's more like 35,000. Auburn, WA. Home of Jet tools. Actually, that's the closest big town. The one I live in has a population of 2000. We don't even have a gas station here.

CW wrote:

I'm talking about a huge model railroad store, actually. He's got damn near everything a man who has more money than I do could want (I had to temporarily abandon the hobby and shelve all my toys for lack of capital) but none o' them water remover flummies. The shop in question is in the nearest city, and it's the only good store in that city. He has no competition. (Well, people *think* they're competing with him, but he has no competition.)
Locally (town of about 50,000), we have the nearest city. Everyone who used to be around here folded a long time ago. Couldn't compete with mail order. We don't have a hobby/model shop at all.
You life in a deprived area. You can find it on the internet. Have it in a couple days.

Yes, larger air compressors are fine for airbrushes. The main consideration is the pressure regulator. Because the air demand of an airbrush is very low, the pressure drop allowed by a normal regulator can be noticeable. You may wish to put a small regulator between the 1/4" or 3/8" line from your compressor and the 1/8" line to your airbrush. Set the compressor's regulator 10 to 15 PSI higher than your in-line regulator. That said, "noticeable" is not fatal, try it straight off your compressor at 20 to 40 PSI and see how you like it. HTH, Bruce

Good to know. Thanks!
Bruce Adams wrote:

Just fine. Once in a power outage I used a truck spare tire. :-) -- Ernie
There's creative thinking....
Ernie Jurick wrote:

    Greetings and Salutations...
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 12:37:34 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

    I like Paasche brushes, although there are other good brands out there too...But then that is what I have used for a few years.

    Compressed air is compressed air. The only thing you REALLY need to do is feed the output from the compressor into a water filter and a pressure controller, to get it down to the 30 PSI or so that the airbrush needs and to make sure it is DRY air. Water in the lines will make everybody's day suck big time.     Regards     Dave Mundt
I use my 25 all the time in the basement a some on the 100 gal in the shop with no problems

No problem. I have used an airbrush at work off a 50 horsepower compressor. Turn the regulator down to the appropriate pressure and paint away. You might want to get an outboard regulator and air filter. A lot more convenient that readjusting the compressor all the time. Go to a good model shop. they have everything you need and can set you up.