Airbrushes Part II

The airbrush doesn't care where its air comes from. It would, however, like it at a little lower pressure than straight outta the red tank jobby (seems to me I remember my Pasche wanted something on the order of 20 psi or less). Although you can adjust the regulator on the compressor, I found it a pain sharing the compressor that way with the other big air hogs. So I ran a drop with its own filter/regulator over to the air brush area of the shop. That would be my suggestion for you.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I posted this question in airbrush.art but have yet to received a response. I ended up buying a Paasche H airbrush by the way, single action. Thought it might be a little easier for my wife to learn.

The question. I have a regular type air compressor in the garage. Craftsman 25 gal? red tank jobby. Does anyone know if this compressor can be used with the airbrush? Last time I had an airbrush I used a tiny craftsman, tankless? variety.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

absolutely. I've got a Sears 30gal in the shop and have used it countless hours with an airbrush to paint models. You'll need a good in-line filter just before the gun to keep out moisture. I also have a Paasche brush...

dave

Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes, larger air compressors are fine for airbrushes. The main consideration is the pressure regulator. Because the air demand of an airbrush is very low, the pressure drop allowed by a normal regulator can be noticeable. You may wish to put a small regulator between the 1/4" or 3/8" line from your compressor and the 1/8" line to your airbrush. Set the compressor's regulator 10 to 15 PSI higher than your in-line regulator. That said, "noticeable" is not fatal, try it straight off your compressor at 20 to 40 PSI and see how you like it. HTH, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Adams

Good to know. Thanks!

Bruce Adams wrote:

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Just fine. Once in a power outage I used a truck spare tire. :-)

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

I like Paasche brushes, although there are other good brands out there too...But then that is what I have used for a few years.

Compressed air is compressed air. The only thing you REALLY need to do is feed the output from the compressor into a water filter and a pressure controller, to get it down to the 30 PSI or so that the airbrush needs and to make sure it is DRY air. Water in the lines will make everybody's day suck big time. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

if you not using a water based product, you'll have moisture in the finish which can range from minor blemishing to ruining the finish. morale of the story is get a filter unless you live in an ultra-low humidity area like NV. the smaller compressors like yours and mine will create more moisture problems than my first compressor: a 2 stage, 3 phase 80 gallon Champion. It ran infrequently and didn't get as hot, so it wouldn't condense a lot of moisture in the tank.

dave

Thomas Mitchell wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

No, it won't hurt anything. Just between you, me, and the fencepost, I haven't ever bothered to buy one. My compressor doesn't have a tank though, so that might be a factor. I usually do my airbrushing in fall and winter, when the humidity is low, and I only use water-based products. I've been able to live with the rare water drops, and haven't ever gotten around to buying one of those moisture trap dooflatchies.

Running off of a tank though, it's possibly a different story. The tank probably has some water in it, and even if you completely remove the drain valve thingie (if you even can) and tip the thing to try to drain the last drops of water out of it, and then take it out to the middle of the desert, it will probably still be somewhat moist inside. So you really do need to buy one of those dooflatchies as soon as possible.

Reply to
Silvan

I use my 25 all the time in the basement a some on the 100 gal in the shop with no problems

Reply to
Dan Petroski

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

I'm talking about a huge model railroad store, actually. He's got damn near everything a man who has more money than I do could want (I had to temporarily abandon the hobby and shelve all my toys for lack of capital) but none o' them water remover flummies. The shop in question is in the nearest city, and it's the only good store in that city. He has no competition. (Well, people *think* they're competing with him, but he has no competition.)

Locally (town of about 50,000), we have the nearest city. Everyone who used to be around here folded a long time ago. Couldn't compete with mail order. We don't have a hobby/model shop at all.

Reply to
Silvan