Airbrush ink/paint for wood?

I'm looking for some airbrush ink or paint which lets the detail of wood show through. I've tried some acrylic ink which shows the large grain but tends to hide the finer detail of the wood and so looks a bit like I've used one of those wood effect rollers. The ink also raised the grain a bit, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

I don't want to use actual wood stain as the range of colours available is practically non existant. I'm after colours like blue, purple, green etc.

It's for a pine guitar amplifier cabinet, and I want to make variable shades like on sunburst guitar finishes.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks a lot Garry

Reply to
garry parker

I suggest the use of TransTint dyes. They can by used alone or to tint the finish and come in a range of colors. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

I have gotten decent results with artist's oil paints thinned with linseed oil. I wasn't going after variable shades, and I kind of doubt that a linseed based finish would spray well- though it might if it was thinned enough. I suspect that you will get the results you are after with aniline dyes in laquer. spray the first coats clear before you start introducing color into your finish. that way the dye doesn't interact at all with the wood, and you have the option of scraping back a layer and starting over.

Reply to
bridger

Thanks to all for the tips. I'll start experimenting at the weekend.

Garry

Reply to
garry parker