air hoses

have just a few air tools
i like them and they are all lighter than their electric analogue
but the air hose is almost like torture well it falls in the same category of dropping a small part and having it always land where it is not clearly visible
a continual annoyance might be the better description
but now i see that there is a hose that claims to not coil and catch and annoy and behaves more like a good power cord
anyone tried one

Did anyone try an unnamed hose identified by a bit of marketing speal?
I do have two Flexzilla hoses. They're pretty good and do remain pretty flexible when the temperature drops below 50F, unlike the PVC hoses. I've got rubber and PVC hoses, and the Flexzilla beats them both.
Puckdropper
On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 08:17:28 -0700, Electric Comet

I've used air for decades, and the only ones that "coil and pinch" are tghe cheap crappy "coil up" type. There are high quality coil-up hoses but they are not cheap. Cheap coil-up hoses have a lifespan in normal use from 5 minutes to a couple months.

On Sat, 04 Jun 2016 21:52:56 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

have a regular hitachi that is good quality i avoided getting a coil up type because they are even worse than just plain hoses
and these are the hoses was reading about have not seen one yet in person
home depot #
HFZ3850YW2
On 6/4/2016 11:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

For a wood shop, coil up hoses are what you want. They are there when you need them and go away when you don't. I don't want air hoses laying around on the floor, and don't want to roll them up each time I use them. Trick to the coil type is to have a good method and place to store when not using. I use a bar magnet that my blow gun sticks too.
Of course, you probably need both types. I have several regular hoses so I can go out to 150' if needed.
I've used a "cheap" coil type for at least 25 years with nary a problem. Of course 25 years ago "cheap" may have been less cheaply made than today. It will "tangle and pinch" if you let it, but shows no signs of wear. Should last another 25 to 500 years I think.

That's the same brand Puckdropper said he liked, so forge ahead.
--
Jack

Just a note, but my cheap coil hose blew out for no apparent reason one morning and scared the crap out of me. I haven't had that happen with non-coil hoses that are even cheaper.
On the other hand, one cold morning I stepped on a PVC hose (not under pressure) and it _broke_. I don't mean it got a little hole, it snapped in two like a twig.
I was short of cash and needed a length of hose, so I went down to HF and got one for 17 bucks that was billed as "low temperature". I figured if it lasted until summer I would be happy. It's been living in my driveway for three years now and still seems like it's happy, so I have no complaints.

I have had 2 "cheap" coiled air hoses go bad in less than 6 months each - and I hardly used them One kinked and cracked - the other just cracked - both leaking more air than I considered acceptable. One had re-useable fittings so I made it into a shorter hose that has worked for a while but appears to have a leak somewhere again. The other one was returned as partial exchange for the second one IIRC.) Not sure if they were polyurethane or nylon - but something around $10- $15 on sale.
On Sun, 05 Jun 2016 16:14:12 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

those coil hoses always look cheap to me the hitachi i have has been good
now i will get some of the ball swivel air fittings and see how that is
may not need to get a new hose if the new fittings relieve enough of the twists
On 6/4/2016 8:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I still use a quality rubber hose, I am well into the use of my second regular use rubber hose. I have been using the rubber hoses for about 30 years. Quality rubber hoses will still need to be recoiled a specific way but this is not that big of a deal, it is like learning to ride a bike for some people. While it may take a while to learn the art, you don't for get the lesson. One hint, relieve the pressure from the hose and it becomes much more pliable.

Standard PVC and Rubber air hoses are fine for construction work. They're tough and can take a beating from boards falling on them, wheelbarrows running over them, or dragging across floor decks. Unfortunately, in a workshop they usually remember the coiled shape and are like fighting a snake in the shop.
I recently bought a "Flexzilla" air hose (3/8 by 25' I think). I've only used it a few times, but so far it does seem to stay flexible and doesn't remember the coiled shape. I'm not crazy about the fluorescent green color, but everything has it's negatives. :)
I did have to buy my own quick disconnect fittings for the new air hose.
On Sun, 5 Jun 2016 15:23:38 -0000 (UTC)

will have to get one of these and save the hitachi one for outdoor work

I rather like the Neon Green color. If I was leaving it in place all the time like a power cord, I might object, but that neon green really makes the hose stick out. It's a benefit for when you're not expecting it.
Puckdropper