Air-hose fittings - which style?

Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? I want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like t he ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me? JP

automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect.

Yes.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool-accessories/5-piece-solid-brass-industrial-uick-coupler-set-68237.html
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool-accessories/5-piece-industrial-series-air-tool-uick-coupler-and-plug-set-68192.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool-accessories/5-piece-solid-brass-industrial-uick-coupler-set-68237.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool-accessories/5-piece-industrial-series-air-tool-uick-coupler-and-plug-set-68192.html

I've had problems with the HF brass fittings. They have piss poor tolerances and many of them will not mate with the fittings I have from non-HF sources. I've had no problems with the HF silver colored fittings. Art
On 5/18/2013 5:12 PM, Artemus wrote:

I have replaced my HF connectors with Home depot connectors cheaper and they seal better. Don't get me wrong the HF are good units for the pieces that fit on the tool, but I found that the HD units are what I needed for a better seal, and cheaper price.
--
Jeff

On Sat, 18 May 2013 20:19:22 +0000, Spalted Walt

automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect.

Of the two I'd opt for the brass fittings to avoid corrosion.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
JayPique wrote:

want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

I just take one of my (male) fitting to my home owned auto supply place and try it to see which one it fits. My brother changed to the push in type and likes them. They do have a style number but I can never remember which is which.
--
 GW Ross

 Without Time, everything would happen
On 5/18/2013 1:53 PM, JayPique wrote:

want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Go with Milton brand fittings. I can't say that I have seen one that was not easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to watch for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from uncoupling if you drag it around a corner.
On Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:15:11 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

easier to couple by pulling back the sleeve. One thing to watch for is one with a guard which prevents the fitting from uncoupling if you drag it around a corner.
About 2 yrs ago, I complained about my half dozen couplers leaking like hell, purchased from HF, Lowes, Home Depot... all were cheaply priced, appropriate for their quality.
I think it was Leon who recommended Milton couplers, back then. I vote Milton brand.
Sonny
Sonny
On Sat, 18 May 2013 11:53:20 -0700 (PDT), JayPique

Uncircumcised fittings?
On Saturday, May 18, 2013 8:09:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

products now.

only you Ed, only you would go there LOL
ChairMan wrote:

Er, no, he's not the only one. I once had the (blonde) wife of a customer ask me: "Say, I just saw the market next door advertising "Kosher" chickens. What makes a chicken kosher anyway?"
"It's been circumcised," I replied.
"Oh," she said.
-------- Question for your doctor: "Say, doc, do you know how to circumcise a whale?"
Usual answer: "Er, no, I don't think so..."
Actual answer: "Well, you start with four skin divers..."
-------- I got a million of 'em, a million of 'em.
"JayPique" wrote:
Anyone familiar with the proper terminology for NPT fittings for air-hoses? --------------------------------------------------------------------- Back in the days when I was employed in the R&D department of a major manufacturer of these devices, they referred to them as "Quick connect couplings".
They held the patent for the quick connect coupling, but also offered the ball lock device to be competitive.
The "Ball lock" was developed as a way to get around the quick connect coupling patent. -----------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------- Sounds like you prefer the "Ball lock" style coupling.
Be aware that there are at least 2 different plug profiles, and they are NOT interchangeable.
Take the plug style you like with you when you go shopping.
As mentioned, Milton has been around for a long time.
Good luck.
Lew
On 5/18/2013 2:53 PM, JayPique wrote:

want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Really, I just got rid of the type where you have to pull back the sleeve.
Just make sure you get the Universal style so you can work both type of connectors.. same price 2 styles.
--
Jeff

JayPique wrote:

want to replace some and I want the right style. I don't really like the ones you have to shove the tool into and it automatically locks. I like the ones where you slide back the sleeve to connect as well as disconnect. Does this make any sense to anyone but me?

Have a look at a lot of air tools and pick the type that the majority come with.