Air Filtration Unit for Cellar Workshop

Hello,
Can anyone tell me they have used an air filtration unit in their cellar workshop? I am wondering if it is worth the money. I have spent both time and money to get my dust collection system to a point where I have very little dust on things. Wouldn't the dust just fall to the floor?
Thanks
Larry C

floor. It is the one micron stuff that hangs in the air, gets in your lungs and is the *most* harmful dust in the shop.
Get the air scrubber.
my $1/50th,
ymmv,
fwiw,
etc etc...
Joe C.

This one is supposed to be on sale at Rockler. http://tinyurl.com/2hqzjy
Max

Max,
That is what piqued my interest
Larry
Larry C wrote:

pocket filter (from Penn State), above that is a fine furnace filter then a coarse furnace filter on top to catch chips. The top has holes and can be used as a sanding table or it tilts up for greater air flow.
It sits near my lathe, where I do most of my sanding. I also have a dust collection system which I use when sanding. This air filter still collects a bunch of the fine dust.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

NOTE: plan ahead and point the exhaust side in the direction that you don't mind noise.. DAMHIKT
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I'm pretty confident that if you run an air filter in your dust collectin' cellar shop, the filter will quickly develop a coating of dirt. It's the fine particles in the air that you should worry about. I'm not sure how large your cellar is, but you can probably get an adequate filter for ~325.00. Personally, I recommend it.
Jeff
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:41:24 GMT, Larry C wrote:

As another responder noted, this kind of air filter gets the really fine stuff that hangs in the air, and unless its really thick, you probably don't see it.
I have one in my basement woodshop - from JDS Company. It has an infrared remote, several fan speeds (I always use the highest) and a timer. I usually turn it on and set the timer for 4 hours when I start any work in my shop, and I keep it running as long as I'm there. As I leave the shop, I hit the button again so it runs for 4 hours after I'm finished. I can tell you it catches quite a bit of dust, in spite of the fact that I have and use a central dust collection system connected to all my stationary tools, too.
Placement of the filter matters. The idea is to get a circulating flow around the shop and through the filter. When you purchase one, it should come with instructions that describe those issues, and will help you decide where to put it.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net