Air conditioning

On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:32:10 -0400, "Old Salty Frog" posted:

It will work as a compressor, but my worry would be lubrication. If you find out about this, I would be interested to know as I have several old fridge units just waiting for a use :)

Reply to
Sandy

I have a two year old window mounted air conditioner made by Fedders,model A2Q10F2BG, type Q, SKU#401-183. It is a

10,00 btu that leaked all of its refrigerant. (Accidently drilling a hole in the tubing while trying to attached the unit to the window framing does it every time ).

Now, does any one know how to make a small air compressing unit out of this mistake so that I can recoupe something out of my clumsy error. The unit is wrecked since it will cost more that buying a new one. All I want to do is some how recoupe my loss.

Thanks

Gill

Reply to
Old Salty Frog

They will work as a compressor for quite a while. I have a Fedders I have been using for a vacuum pump for 30 years. Just shoot a spritz of AC lubricant in the intake every once in a while. It comes in a spray can at the HVAC suppliers. BTW have you really looked into fixing the AC? Charging one really doesn't cost that much. Is the tube copper or aluminum? You can sweat copper and a welder will only charge you a few bucks to patch the aluminum. You can get a "service valve" fitting that will allow you to charge it like a car AC. I am still using an old fridge that I fixed many years ago this way. If it is 2 years old it should be using R134 that you can get at the auto parts store.

Reply to
Greg

It can be converted into a vacuum pump very easily. Why don't just fix it? Very easy and not very expensive. Any competent AC guy can patch and recharge it.

Dave

TeamCasa

I guess car A/C units are rare enough there that every garage doesn't have a tech?

Reply to
Greg

To get it fixed it would cost me $250. plus tax & GST and it is 5 hrs round trip to the nearest serviceman. I live in Bay D'Espoir, Newfoundland, Canada, and the nearest service is in GrandFalls/Windsor.

I was told that an intake and an out valve will have to be silver weld on in addition to silver welding the hole. Each valve cost approx. $45. Add the refrigerant ($50 for 17 oz can), the labor cost, and the gas for the 300 klm round trip make it very expensive to repair. If some one could point me to a website where I could buy the valves at a cheaper price, then maybe.....

Gill

Reply to
Old Salty Frog

Good point, but finding one that will work on it at a reasonable price still may be a problem. I am a HVAC tech I don't see fixing this AC in less than two hours. By the time you add up the parts, time, and refrigerant you may as well buy a new one. You will easily spend over 1/2-3/4 the purchace price of a new unit repairing it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On 17 May 2004 16:05:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) posted:

Thanks, I didn't know such a thing existed. I'll look for some.

Reply to
Sandy